THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww View Post
Prayers sent to all those on board and their heartbroken families.........
Only in a copter one time but seems like these things take a lot of innocent lives!!
No interest in riding another one
But you WILL drive down a highway in a vehicle that claims 40,000+ lives per year.....

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-27-2020, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
But you WILL drive down a highway in a vehicle that claims 40,000+ lives per year.....
Seriously? Do cars freefall a thousand feet to the ground due to mechanical failures?

Old 01-27-2020, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A local update says the copter hit a “mountain” (at 1,700 feet) in rough terrain where it left a crater, marks from the rotor strike and pieces of the rotor before it tumbled down the hill, scattered, and burned.

The pilot circled the LA Zoo for 15 minutes waiting for the fog to improve. It didn’t, so he continued on anyways.

Fog and visibility were really bad, yet the pilot was flying visually - rather than with instruments. That struck me as weird - the Sikorsky is a very high dollar aircraft, and flying it visually in bad weather seems almost like flying a G50 visually. (But I don’t know much about helicopters.)

A recording of communication between the pilot and air traffic control is on You Tube. There was no radio contact in the Moments before the crash since the pilot was flying so low in the canyons.

Anything’s possible, but everything is pointing to pilot error. They should have landed at Burbank Airport and drove the rest of the way - but that would probably make them late, so they risked it.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain). Poor decision to fly regardless of mention possible mech failure. This morning news says the pilot requested Special VFR permission and the tower granted it. Still pilot's responsibility.

George

Old 01-27-2020, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Seriously? Do cars f.reefall a thousand feet to the ground due to mechanical failures?
IF you'll exercise a bit of intellectual curiosity you'll discover that even flying in a helicopter is statistically far safer than DRIVING....According to readily available FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) data between 1982-2011 there were 127 helicopter crashes in 2011. Of those crashes, 18 had fatalities. The highest number of crashes was in 1982 with 273 crashes. 47 of those crashes had fatalities. The 2010 accident rate in helicopter was .82 per 100,000 flight hours. The fatality rate in helicopters is LOWER than the fatality rate in other aircraft (1.3 per 100,000 hrs. .verses 1.4 per 100,000 hrs.).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-27-2020, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Sounds like CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain). Poor decision to fly regardless of mention possible mech failure. This morning news says the pilot requested Special VFR permission and the tower granted it. Still pilot's responsibility.

George
George, where did you find that? There are so many stories floating around that it will probably take the actual NTSB report to answer all the questions.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-27-2020, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
A local update says the copter hit a “mountain” (at 1,700 feet) in rough terrain where it left a crater, marks from the rotor strike and pieces of the rotor before it tumbled down the hill, scattered, and burned.

The pilot circled the LA Zoo for 15 minutes waiting for the fog to improve. It didn’t, so he continued on anyways.

Fog and visibility were really bad, yet the pilot was flying visually - rather than with instruments. That struck me as weird - the Sikorsky is a very high dollar aircraft, and flying it visually in bad weather seems almost like flying a G50 visually. (But I don’t know much about helicopters.)

A recording of communication between the pilot and air traffic control is on You Tube. There was no radio contact in the Moments before the crash since the pilot was flying so low in the canyons.

Anything’s possible, but everything is pointing to pilot error. They should have landed at Burbank Airport and drove the rest of the way - but that would probably make them late, so they risked it.
If this report proves to be factual, then it's an ironclad case of pilot error. One of the stories I read was they were in a hover waiting for the fog to clear when the engines "sputtered"(NOT likely with TWO turbine engines) with the helo crashing to the ground(indicates a main transmission failure). The other story alleged that the helo was on fire when it crashed (indicates an uncontrolled failure of the main transmission or of one of the engines...a problem on older, 250-C30 equipped S-76s).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-27-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard the this morning on CBS network news. Now, granted early TV reports on ANYTHING should be taken with a grain of salt but this sounded too specific.

In any case, I would say poor choice on the pilot given the undeniably poor weather, although he is supposed to be IFR rated, etc. etc. I hate to start blaming the pilot with only sketchy info present, but the weather was a known variable.

I wonder if that aircraft has Flight Data Recorder/Cockpit Voice Recorder?

George

Old 01-27-2020, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=B0pQfgi9ZqU

Here’s the air traffic control recoding. 3:30 is where it gets close to the crash.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
I heard the this morning on CBS network news. Now, granted early TV reports on ANYTHING should be taken with a grain of salt but this sounded too specific.

In any case, I would say poor choice on the pilot given the undeniably poor weather, although he is supposed to be IFR rated, etc. etc. I hate to start blaming the pilot with only sketchy info present, but the weather was a known variable.

I wonder if that aircraft has Flight Data Recorder/Cockpit Voice Recorder?

George
Doubtful. Part 91 aircraft are not required to have a CVR or an FDR.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Going on and on about the relative safety of a helicopter vs. a car, or speculating about what happened before any facts are available, won't undo what happened. It's best to wait until more is known.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Going on and on about the relative safety of a helicopter vs. a car, or speculating about what happened before any facts are available, won't undo what happened. It's best to wait until more is known.
Half-baked theories and Poorly-informed opinions are what Internet forums are all about!

On another note - I just learned that an area high school football coach lost his sister and niece in that same crash.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Plus look at the number of cars out there VS the number of helicopters. Not even a close comparison. RIP to all involved.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I lost a classmate in junior high in that very area when his dad was scud running in a Piper in 1978. CFIT. Same time of year too.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
I lost a classmate in junior high in that very area when his dad was scud running in a Piper in 1978. CFIT. Same time of year too.
Scud running is an excellent way to end up DEAD. Former customer of mine hit a mountain 2,500 ft below the summit scud running. It took the THP(TN HIghway Patrol) and the CAP(Civil Air Patrol) a month to find the wreckage.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-27-2020, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

@George, ; You listen to CBS news?

Old 01-27-2020, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, cbs network and cbs local news, Fox News, I take them all with a grain of salt, never believe any of them 100%, tend to favor the cbs because the local station seems to be the better of the rest of the locals.

George

Old 01-27-2020, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't know what scud running was, so I did a search and found this video. Good explanation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41nLtzYdQzE

Old 01-27-2020, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny, when I first heard about the crash, it reminded me right away of Stevie Ray Vaughan. I remember that one like it was yesterday. Helicopter flew into a hillside.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Funny, when I first heard about the crash, it reminded me right away of Stevie Ray Vaughan. I remember that one like it was yesterday. Helicopter flew into a hillside.
Another case of scud running. As I recall, power lines were involved as well.

Dr. Thomas Sowell