Old 03-08-2021, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 65 wheel bearing races

Anyone have any tips on getting the inner wheel bearing race out of a 65 8 lug front drum? I've been trying to tap it out with a punch and having no luck getting it to budge.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-08-2021, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have access to an acetylene torch you can heat the race cherry red, and then smack the race with a sharp chisel. It will fall out at that point. If no access to a torch, you can carefully cut 3-4 relief slices in the race with a cutoff wheel on a dremel tool. Then a smack with a chisel in the indentation will break the race and it will fall out. Both methods will work.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Been years since I've messed with the '65 8-lugs on our '65 Bonne hardtop, but isn't there two indents in the aluminum casting opposite each other that allows a good sized drift to contact the race? I would be heating the drums up a little in the barbeque to give me a sporting chance of tapping them loose. Think we just alternated from side to side until they dropped out.

Old 03-09-2021, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just re-read your original post. I missed the critical fact you are working on 8 LUG DRUMS!! Do not use excessive heat as I suggested in post 2. Sorry about that very bad suggestion. That would be for iron drums only, not 8 lugs. Very sorry I missed that. You can apply mild heat to gently expand the hub that might help release the race. Also, if the race was put in with Locktite of similar press compound, heat of around 200-250 degrees will help release the compound. Cutting the race with a Dremel tool to relax the press fit is still a good option, but be as careful as possible not to break through and get into the aluminum. Also as Mick mentioned, there should be 2 little notches that expose the race for a long drift punch as well.