THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Super nice............Congrats on a job well done!!

Old 07-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj71 View Post
Grant, can you verify the 52 or 58?
That 58 number I posted was from John Gunnell's 1982 book "75 Years of Pontiac-Oakland." I think some of the production numbers he included back then may have been updated/corrected in the meantime, but either way they didn't build very many of them.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice ride.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default 52 or 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
That 58 number I posted was from John Gunnell's 1982 book "75 Years of Pontiac-Oakland." I think some of the production numbers he included back then may have been updated/corrected in the meantime, but either way they didn't build very many of them.
I think the 52 may have come from Fred Simmonds, but honestly can't recall, and I've seen both the 58 and 52 numbers floating around, so yes, either way, it's low.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I believe 1971 was the last year they offered a manual transmission in the GP.
It was the last year for the 'big' GPs, and non-Chevrolet B-bodies to offer a manual.
The 1979 Grand Prix was available w/4-speed and that was the end, for RWD GP. It was a one year only for the 108" wheel base.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
It was the last year for the 'big' GPs, and non-Chevrolet B-bodies to offer a manual.
The 1979 Grand Prix was available w/4-speed and that was the end, for RWD GP. It was a one year only for the 108" wheel base.
Manual transmission B body cars were dropped in I think March or April of that model year. Only three speed on the column, and just a handful were built. There was a discussion in the big car forums down below a while back, and only one person had even seen one of those cars. I'd love to have one, though...I daily drove a '71 Catalins for years (with auto, of course) and it was a great car.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Love the 71 GP's! And a 4 speed! Home run! Beautiful job

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 07-25-2017, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Manual transmission B body cars were dropped in I think March or April of that model year. Only three speed on the column, and just a handful were built. There was a discussion in the big car forums down below a while back, and only one person had even seen one of those cars. I'd love to have one, though...I daily drove a '71 Catalinas for years (with auto, of course) and it was a great car.
Yeah, I was aware of the early cut-off.
Not sure if it was me in the discussion you mention, but my brother owned a '71 LeSabre sedan with the 3-speed column shift. He had it for about five years, and decided it was doing it more harm than good to keep it in a 90 year old barn; and the good weather driving season is so short here in Maine....so he reluctantly sold it.

Where I grew up in Michigan, there was an elderly couple three doors down the street from us that had a '72 Biscayne with a 6-cylinder 3-speed. I remember it well. It was fathom green with dog dish hubcaps. I think it may have been the last car they ever owned.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 07-25-2017 at 09:23 PM.