THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Justin

The '77 was 1.1" shorter than the '72. I grew up with these cars as my dad was the #1 salesman at our local Pontiac dealer. The 1960 Pontiac Bonneville I had in HS was much longer that than the GP's - over 220". I remember being able to put my downhill skis in the trunk when I went skiing.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 11:45 AM

Default crazy prices for sure

who can afford to buy a classic car in todays market? insane prices killing the hobby

Old 03-16-2022, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta remember not to think in 1970 dollars like most of us do. When you realize that there are a LOT of college grads in big cities with starting pay in six figures, while at the same time guys that have been with the company for 30 years will be making 70K. Companies have no choice, the HAVE to have people.

As I am retired and the wife very close to it, and we are pretty comfortable we have to constantly remind ourselves ... yes, buy that if you want it, a: it's not $1000 in 1970's money, it's $200 in 1970's money and b: what do you want to do, die with a casket full of cash?

I have a nephew, 22 years old, graduated from George Town, on his third job since graduation, works for JP Morgan in some kind of P.R./Marketing gig ... they started him at $110K.

He wants to learn guitar ... while he was here with the family for Thanksgivings I gave him one of my electric guitars .... THEN later I heard he made that kind of money. I thought I was being the kind old Uncle helping out the poor kid slaving in the city. Nope he's doing fine ... and doesn't even own a car.

Just sayin ... 50-60 K for a lot of people just isn't that much these days.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Just sayin ... 50-60 K for a lot of people just isn't that much these days.
I can't speak for big cities like New York of L.A... they seem like a whole other planet for a long list of reasons.

But, here in middle America, for a lot of fiscally responsible working class folks, 50-60K for a car is "if I win the lotto" money.
Sure, there are people who have a lot less than I do that will make that jump... but they are also the folks who think it is "OK" to spend their entire life in debt.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincampbell View Post
I can't speak for big cities like New York of L.A... they seem like a whole other planet for a long list of reasons.

But, here in middle America, for a lot of fiscally responsible working class folks, 50-60K for a car is "if I win the lotto" money.
Sure, there are people who have a lot less than I do that will make that jump... but they are also the folks who think it is "OK" to spend their entire life in debt.
Ohio is about as "middle America" as it gets. The Papa John's Pizza closest to me has a giant sign outside that says "$1000.00 instant signing bonus for pizza delivery drivers". Target department store is paying $24.50 STARTING wage to stock shelves and run a check out. It's a crazy new world out there.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How much you spend to remain fiscally responsible changes with your income. It's not responsible for someone that makes $60K a year to spend $60K on a car, for someone that makes $150K it can be. I've never in my life purchased a vehicle that cost more than $26K new, I certainly could have, in my case it doesn't make me fiscally responsible, it makes me cheap

I live in rural New York, diary farms, mountains, regular folks ... people in the trades here do very well, $70-80K easy if they aren't drunks or goof balls. After doing it for 30-40 years, many of them have a very secure financial future. Heck, tons of them driving around in $50K pickup trucks without drowning in debt.

Lots of people buying these cars are people that have worked good jobs in the trades for their whole lives and they are quite comfortable. At 60-65 years old, the days are running short, if you want that vintage car ... buy it, you probably won't have the opportunity or the desire much longer.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Gotta remember not to think in 1970 dollars like most of us do.
A cup of coffee used to be 25 cents too, but that was then...everything is more expensive today, it's just how it works.

According to Kelly Blue Book, the average price of a new car in December 2021 was $47,000. People spending a similar amount for an old car (or a boat, or camper, or a big vacation trip, or whatever) doesn't seem that far out of the realm.

As for me, my daily driver is 35 years old and I don't have plans to replace it anytime soon. I already have a couple old cars, and if anything I'll be selling them off in the near future.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For those lamenting the 2022 prices:

Some 50 years ago, my Grandmother was complaining about the cost of shoes. She had a narrow foot, and shoes in her size 50 years ago were some $70. a pair. She made the comment at our daily coffee break that this price was ridiculous, and that shoes used to be $2.00 a pair! I asked her, "but Grandma, how much was Grandpa making then?" Her answer: almost a dollar a day!

Don't remember all the wages for which I worked, but in 1965 I worked as a heavy equipment (bulldozer) operator for $2.71 an hour. What does a bulldozer operator make today?

Pricing is relative.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet half of us here own cars we couldn't afford to buy now.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Amen to that. 2 years ago the value of the one finished car that I own was roughly $20,000 less than it is now.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
For those lamenting the 2022 prices:

Some 50 years ago, my Grandmother was complaining about the cost of shoes. She had a narrow foot, and shoes in her size 50 years ago were some $70. a pair. She made the comment at our daily coffee break that this price was ridiculous, and that shoes used to be $2.00 a pair! I asked her, "but Grandma, how much was Grandpa making then?" Her answer: almost a dollar a day!

Don't remember all the wages for which I worked, but in 1965 I worked as a heavy equipment (bulldozer) operator for $2.71 an hour. What does a bulldozer operator make today?

Pricing is relative.

Jon.

There is certainly some truth in what you are saying. But, in our area, it seems the pay for the jobs that someone actually has to have skills for has not increased nearly as much as the pay for jobs that someone simply has to have a pulse for.
Additionally, the people who have stayed in a job for the long term and have even been promoted multiple times appear to have received absolutely 0 additional compensation to reflect the recent extreme change in wages. I know this has always happened to some degree. But, one would think that(in the current labor market) companies would do something to show a little appreciation for the folks that have stuck with them.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
The Papa John's Pizza closest to me has a giant sign outside that says "$1000.00 instant signing bonus for pizza delivery drivers". Target department store is paying $24.50 STARTING wage to stock shelves and run a check out. It's a crazy new world out there.
Something that people don't ever seem to factor in though is the long term effect of paying people these kind of wages for a "got a pulse" job. I assure you the owners/stockholders of these companies are not going to "take it on the chin". The cost of daily life will catch up and these cars will seem like even more of a luxury item to many of us.

Old 03-16-2022, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincampbell View Post
There is certainly some truth in what you are saying. But, in our area, it seems the pay for the jobs that someone actually has to have skills for has not increased nearly as much as the pay for jobs that someone simply has to have a pulse for.
Additionally, the people who have stayed in a job for the long term and have even been promoted multiple times appear to have received absolutely 0 additional compensation to reflect the recent extreme change in wages. I know this has always happened to some degree. But, one would think that(in the current labor market) companies would do something to show a little appreciation for the folks that have stuck with them.
Amen to that!! If I was young and still in the job market, I would be testing the waters for sure. Mechanics with a 2-year degree around here and 100K in hand tools are making McDonalds Money. $135.00 an hour at a new car dealer? Some of my recent graduates are not making $20.00 an hour. Big problems on the way when all this new electric junk breaks, which it will.

Old 03-16-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post

I bought my car and started my build in May of 2019. I know what I paid for parts and labor and, what they are now, for the parts still available. I couldn’t build this car again. Given the exact same circumstances and finances if I started today if would be a DNF! Another sold off project car. I feel very fortunate to have had it all literally fall into place when it did. Had it not, this 2.5 year saga would have never happened and, I’d lay upon my deathbed with yet another unfulfilled dream. No doubt God and Pontiac have been very good to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-17-2022, 03:01 PM

I won’t be attending any car events this year if prices do not go down! I only use premium, and my cars guzzle gas like a drunk! I’m generally at an event every weekend and now we show a second car, so we won’t be wasting the money, or selling the cars, with all the nonsense going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	232622E5-1EC8-47C5-9124-46CC7834991B.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	586467  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 03-17-2022, 04:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I won’t be attending any car events this year if prices do not go down! I only use premium, and my cars guzzle gas like a drunk! I’m generally at an event every weekend and now we show a second car, so we won’t be wasting the money, or selling the cars, with all the nonsense going on.
That would be a shame, beautiful cars you have there! I see the cars as a form of entertainment, none of which is getting any cheaper.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I won’t be attending any car events this year if prices do not go down! I only use premium, and my cars guzzle gas like a drunk!
Most of us run premium, but I don't see any reason to limit my toy car driving. If I can't afford to buy gas, I don't need the cars.

I can see possibly cutting out a few shows, but not all of them.

We only have so many years left to enjoy these cars (we're both getting older and have had health issues).

Drive on...