THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everyone talks about Costco’s “great concierge guarantee,” but none of them have ever had to use it.

I bought a Sony big screen from them that crapped out 18 months later. (I know everyone says Sony sucks, but my previous flat screen Sony lasted 17 years.)

Costco said “no problem- we’ll send a refund right over.” It took my six months of hammering them on a weekly basis to get my refund. They are terrible.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70" SHARP TV. 10 years old.
If only dish network wouldn't shrink my picture on some shows.

And yes closed caption is a must. WHAT ?

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 04-19-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
So, I'm not the only one here that has the closed caption on all the time? It's not so much I'm hard of hearing it's just that the voice is low, then when the action begins it's SO loud! I'm constantly turning the volume up and down.
Yes some movies and shows make you feel like you are losing your hearing lol. The Roku soundbar has a sound leveling option on it and works great. I no longer have to lower volume during commercials and then raise volume when show/movie starts playing again. The new Star Wars movies were the worst when it came to dialogue volume being really low and then the CG scenes being super loud, not that the last Star Wars movies is really worth watching again. I had a Polk soundbar in the past and it had a voice volume button feature but really didnt help. The Roku soundbar is the best soundbar I have had for even sound control and the bass and mid-range sound is still crisp.
I dont think I will ever buy a 1000+ Samsung TV again it is just so much easier on the wallet to replace a 400+ Samsung television.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Had a similar experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Everyone talks about Costco’s “great concierge guarantee,” but none of them have ever had to use it.

I bought a Sony big screen from them that crapped out 18 months later. (I know everyone says Sony sucks, but my previous flat screen Sony lasted 17 years.)

Costco said “no problem- we’ll send a refund right over.” It took my six months of hammering them on a weekly basis to get my refund. They are terrible.
Had a TV stop working and they refused to refund or replace saying it was still under warranty. I had it repaired and it crapped out 3 months later. Fixing these things is a waste of time.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-19-2022, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
Yes some movies and shows make you feel like you are losing your hearing lol. The Roku soundbar has a sound leveling option on it and works great. I no longer have to lower volume during commercials and then raise volume when show/movie starts playing again. The new Star Wars movies were the worst when it came to dialogue volume being really low and then the CG scenes being super loud, not that the last Star Wars movies is really worth watching again. I had a Polk soundbar in the past and it had a voice volume button feature but really didnt help. The Roku soundbar is the best soundbar I have had for even sound control and the bass and mid-range sound is still crisp.
I dont think I will ever buy a 1000+ Samsung TV again it is just so much easier on the wallet to replace a 400+ Samsung television.
Yeah, I'm thinking around 500-600. My current one was 5 years old when it died, It didn't seem like we had it that long. I really like that sound bar idea and going to check them out.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-19-2022, 02:17 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Does it include an app for youtube TV or can it be added by downloading it?

Many brands will include an app for regular youtube but not youtube TV.

Sure does. Usually don't watch cable, mostly YT.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2022, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Reading all your comments. My tv is ok but may need one in the future. See it's an old tube type
about 32" Zenith(yes that old).However it functions for me. I'll probably need a forklift to get it out,I remember it was heavy.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
....... I am planning on buying the Roku bass speaker but I am surprised how good the bass is from this sound bar. It also has a better voice speaker for those of us who are getting harder of hearing.
Yea, no. I'm certain that my hearing is still excellent, yet i cannot understand wht my wife is saying across the house, or yard, or while walking the dogs and the talk is into the wind and down range from me. She cannot understand my speaking either, yet knows i said something.

My work used to perform hearing tests at epoch times in my work. Some folks had a weak ear, lost highs, lost sub-lows, or worse.

And usually the spontaneous talk occurs when the listener is occupied doing something that involves making noise. Ugh.

I think we-all develop bad habits in talking away from the direct direction of the listener.
We-all used to talk while looking eye-to-eye to whomever, yet the busy lifestyle has we-all doing things and speaking our mind to the wind, not in-line with the listener. I'm convinced of that.

Also, the notion of conversation in a noisey place was never any use for me even when in my teens. Groups of people just talk louder and louder yet as the noisey place goes on.

Setting groundrules does not solve the matter, yet does remove mutual frustration.
I suspect the hearing abilities have not changed. HIS

Old 04-19-2022, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default TV

I ended up with a 65" Samsung and also got a Samsung sound bar with a sub-woofer from wallymart. Setting this thing up wasn't too bad. The funniest part was the little old lady they sent out to help me load it. The sound bar set itself up despite the directions telling me I had to do a whole bunch of added steps. I'm pretty happy with it and declined the 4 year ($74.00) extended warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	278182461_304099965133999_2439653109735486909_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	588979   Click image for larger version

Name:	278813492_509333160899850_4568427719166462512_n.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	588980   Click image for larger version

Name:	278148375_355693823194010_5574899767786958063_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	588981  

― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-19-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
My next one will be the SAMSUNG 65" Class QN85D-Series 4K Ultra HD Smart Neo QLED TV - QN65QN85DAFXZA I copied this from Sam's Club. It is pricey right now but sometimes they put them on sale for arouns $1,000.00. I would go bigger but a 65" is the biggest I can put in the space I have for it.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/samsung-6...=plp_product_1
Friday morning before Super bowl weekend our LG Plasma TV died after `10 years use. I decided that it had been a great TV and have wanted an "OLED" for some time. Being up against "missing the big game", Ordered a LG OLED C1 Series 65” 4k TV.
amazon had a" Prime" deal with about $800 off and next morning delivery.
Showed up on time and had it installed before noon the next day.

Have to say, It really does have an outstanding picture.
3700 reviews @ 4.8 stars cinched it for me.

Being LG... I hope it lasts like their Plasma set did.

I would not touch a refrigerator, washer or dryer built by LG- not sure about their compact utility tractors either.
I did spring for the 4 year extended warranty because of other previous flat screen TV failures .

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post

Last edited by 455dan; 04-19-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure LED TV picture quality has caught up with Plasma TV picture quality, back before they quit making Plasmas, they consistently rated best picture quality vs LED. But I have both and really haven't seen any difference.

Bought our 50" Insignia Plasma in March 2009. Maybe 6 years later the picture went black one night. Googled the problem, discovered it was due to some blown capacitors. Bought the recommended higher rated caps, installed them (made easy following the googled info), and the TV has not had a hiccup since. Almost 3 years ago it was relegated to bedroom duty. Main TV now is a Samsung 60" LED, UN60J620DAFXZA. Manufactured in May 2015. It came with the house. Former owners were rarely here so I am certain this TV saw little use before we arrived in June 2019.

The Samsung has not had any issues. We also have two 32" LED Sharps that came with the house too but get almost no use. Former owners also left us our really big screen TV, an Optoma projector and screen. It mainly gets use when the grandkids visit as it resides on the lower level. I did watch a Super Bowl on it, kinda cool and the pic quality was Hi-Def which we didn't expect. We occasionally watch movies on it as it is setup with a nice stereo with subwoofers for a theater like surround sound experience.

We stream YouTube TV along with Amazon and Netflix with a Firestick on each TV.

The Samsung is a "Smart" TV, not sure if we could stream on it without the Firestick but I knew how to use the Firestick so setup was simpler than learning to use something different.

We've had generally good luck with TVs, had a big screen rear projection Hitachi before the Insignia, lasted 14 years. Gave up on the Hitachi when I spent a day watching football on my brother's Hi-Def TV. Didn't seem that great a picture until I got home and turned on the Hitachi and realized how "murky" our picture really was. Our 25" NEC tube TV was about 10 years old when the Hitachi replaced it. The Hitachi and the NEC long gone but I still have the 9" Sears B & W TV from college. Hasn't been out of the box in decades but I can't bring myself to toss it, much to my wife's chagrin.

HIS, you would be lucky if your hearing hasn't degenerated with age. When I was about 30, a nearly 60 yo co-worker and I walked into a Sears store. He stopped at a hearing machine they had set up by the entrance. He put the headphones on as I stood next to him. I heard every tone as he went through the frequencies. At a higher frequency, he turned to me in a loud voice (because of the headphones) and asked, "You can hear that?". Yes I could from a couple feet away and he couldn't with the headphones sealed to his ears! Fast forward 30 years and my kids told me about some website where you could check your hearing. I was surprised by what they could hear and I couldn't. Before the test, I would have claimed to hear as well as I ever had. So I know I have hearing loss. Not nearly as bad as some of my peers but compared to what I could hear at 30, definitely measurable. Today, I find myself turning up the volume on some shows when I start to struggle to hear the dialogue especially when they are in whispered tones, higher pitch, or heavily accented.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Yea, no. I'm certain that my hearing is still excellent, yet i cannot understand wht my wife is saying across the house, or yard, or while walking the dogs and the talk is into the wind and down range from me.
It's called presbycusis, or age related hearing loss. Most people get it sooner or later. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20373072

Old 04-21-2022, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default All set up

I didn't realise just how bad the old TV had become! This thing is amazing along with that sound bar, I love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	278241309_1297030290786231_3752989747403241395_n.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	589078  

― Calvin Coolidge