Old 09-22-2023, 01:49 PM

Default 1958 hydro in a 57 pontiac

looking for tips to install a 58 tranny in my 57 chieftain...........I hear the mont position is different?
and all thats needed is to make flat adapter plates and its a done deal?
Also??? hear the trans Yoke is different?

Old 09-22-2023, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have one, but to help in your search the 1960 Pontiac Chassis Parts manual has part # 5670049 for the 56 & 57 HydraMatic yoke and 5673335 for 58-60. Funny thing is, the 1966 edition of the same manual has 5678648 for the 1958-60 (and some later) HydraMatic front yokes. Neither manual goes into the differences between the yokes. However, the rear planet carrier assembly (which provides the splined output shaft) is a different part number from 56-57 to 58

But the good news is that same manual calls out only one part number for U-joints from 1956-59 no matter what transmission. So as far as connecting the tranny to the driveshaft, you should be able to use the yoke from the 58 transmission to connect to the 57 U-joint.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:16 PM

good thing is I have the 1958 yoke in the tailshaft of the tranny

Old 09-23-2023, 11:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Alan, good to see you made it here from the "1957 Pontiac" Facebook Group. Great technical advice here from smart Pontiac enthusiasts. It is my place to go for technical info. Plus, if I give advice, it will be fact checked by Ponti-yakers smarter than me. I see my good e-friend, Bill Hanlon, give good advice on adapting to the transmission output shaft.

Other things to consider: length of drive shaft (hopefully yours will work) and linkage to transmission (hopefully the 57 linkage will work).

Do keep us updated...

Old 09-23-2023, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The output shaft went to a fine spline in 1958. You could have the 1957 bell housing machined to accommodate the 1958-up front seal and torus.

Old 09-23-2023, 08:49 PM

thanks for the replies !!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Krunk !!! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2023, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Larry View Post
Alan, good to see you made it here from the "1957 Pontiac" Facebook Group. Great technical advice here from smart Pontiac enthusiasts. It is my place to go for technical info. Plus, if I give advice, it will be fact checked by Ponti-yakers smarter than me. I see my good e-friend, Bill Hanlon, give good advice on adapting to the transmission output shaft.

Other things to consider: length of drive shaft (hopefully yours will work) and linkage to transmission (hopefully the 57 linkage will work).

Do keep us updated...
Length is the same and the levers will come right off and go right on the other transmission if they are different.