Old 11-12-2023, 01:37 PM

Default A/C compressor mount 287

I installed under-dash A/C in my 55 Chieftain. I'm down to mounting my A/C compressor and have room on the passenger side of the engine - 287. I have 2 "blanks" that fit the compressor and need to fabricate the rest of it to mount on the engine. I am looking for information on what "not to do" when identifying where I can attach the bracket. For example, there is a stud on the exhaust manifold and several places on the front side, like the coolant elbows, where I can install longer bolts to accommodate the bracket . I'm just not sure if there are areas that are not strong enough to support the bracket since the compressor is heavy and would be running off the alternator belt.

Is there a place on the engine where some of you have installed an A/C compressor bracket?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2023, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I mounted the Sanden A/C compressor on my '57 GMC (Pontiac) V8 on a bracket I bought from Pontiac Heaven about 30 years ago.

If you are going to use the crank pulley sheave nearest to the engine block to drive the compressor on the passenger's side be sure to read the last paragraph in this article. https://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Gara...ealUpgrade.pdf

It wouldn't hurt to read the whole article if you have a front crank seal oil leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	623197  

Old 11-12-2023, 04:45 PM

Thanks Bill, I printed the article to put with my files. Good information, as usual.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you decide to do the seal and would like to borrow the alignment tool just let me know. It has been loaned out to many Pontiac guys with no complaints yet.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could you use one of the brackets used in the early 1960's that is held on by the first 2 head bolts. There are several different ones that position the compressor either farther back or farther forward? When trying to straighten out the installation of aftermarket AC performed by the previous owner I experimented with several until I found one that worked best.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 02:53 PM

OK, that sounds great. I'm not sure I need it yet but it's good to know you have it available. Thanks