Old 05-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Default Opinions needed Problem fan hitting shroud!!

I don,t want to invest in a AC SHROUD FOR MY 67 GTO, I DON,T HAVE AC!! But i installed a clutch fan 19.5 in dia. and its barely hitting the shroud on my non ac snroud and can be heard when idling. Anybody just trim there,s Huge differance in cooling on my car so far!!
Any other ideas, I don,t mind trimming my old one!! Thank You for reading my problem area.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Suspended

Seems as though my fan was only hitting on the botttom with shroud all the way down in position, i took my jig saw and cut out about inch slot in the middle, seems to be working great so far!! Update for all who read this!!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Suspended

too late now but i was going to recomend you check your motor mounts and the radiator core support mounts befor you cut the shroud.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm with Pontirag. I was getting the same thing: a rattle at the bottom of the shroud. Then found out I had a loose motor mount. Tightened it up and the noise went away. (Oh, yeah, the mount was o.k.; the bolt had just worked loose.)
cm

Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I too am running the big 19.5 AC type clutch fan on my '65, but it has the non-AC (shorter) 15.5" 4 core radiator. Had the same problem. The shroud was for the 17.5 inch core. The shroud was hitting the fan at the bottom. Mine needed to go down about an inch, and the lower radiator hose was in the way, so I just cut the lower radiator hose slot in the shroud deeper by an inch. The shroud bolted up perfectly, and my temps are 15-20 degrees lower at all times. It was a great improvement!