Old 07-20-2005, 05:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Weranc,
Where on the trans would I find the VIN?

Frank

Old 07-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its right next to the date code. I have a muncie on ebay so take a look at it. You can see the VIn in the first pic just above the P3D19B. They are stamped in smaller letters and numbers. Just look around and you will find it. Auction number 7987268655 .

Old 07-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Man that's a tiny number! I'll slide under the car with a drop light tonight and let you know what I come up with.

A 1970 T/A is supposed to have an M-21?

Old 07-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought that the optional lower gear ratios got the M21 and the 3.55:1 received the M20. It has been a long time, though.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I checked the SR block in my 70 RAIV Judge. My #15 block dated D161, it was done by dealer under warranty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by racerboy:
casting date </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

HFR,
Couldn't find any other numbers. Might it be stamped on the top of the case?

Old 07-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will take a look at my cars and get a pic of it for you this weekend

Old 07-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Senior Chief

Racerboy,
I don't think a Ram Air III car would be worth less with a Ram Air IV in it. Even if you don't have a numbers matching block. Pretty much all the restoreation shops can/will restamp any block to be a numbers matching (not trying to start a flame war if it's right or not).
I tracked down a Ram Air IV block, coded WW, for my transplant into my Lucerne Blue '70 Trans Am. I already have the top end and exhaust manifolds for my setup.
I do just need a dual snorkle airbox, and I would like another scoop (that way, when I rebuild the Ram Air III, I will have a complete setup just sitting on the stand).
I will just keep the Ram Air III off to the side, and if I ever sell, I'll sell both together, getting even more money!
I never knew the gas line was different between the two. Do you have a picture of the two together? Just wondering.
As for using a crank and harmonic balancer, I plan on using both just regular 400 ones. I heard that the only difference was the content of nickel between the two (stock regular, and Ram Air IV, well, besides the stamping numbers).
The higher nickel could withstand the higher tolerences better. I highly doubt that I will be burning up the track, or do any high speed runs for quite awhile.
I also have a set of '58-'62 forged rods already resized, shotpenned (spelling?) and new rod bolts that I will also use. I think they will be better than regular used 400 rods.
I don't plan on making a race car out of it.

Just my take,

George