Old 07-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default clutch return springs and linkage

I seem to have misplaced the z-bar spring. I looked at some of the manuals and it tells me that there are suppose to be two springs. One for anti-rattle, and one as a return spring. Does anybody have a picture of where these springs are supposed to attach? I know that the anti-rattle spring goes from the z-bar (see yellow line) to the clutch fork, but what about the return spring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zbar1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	23692   Click image for larger version

Name:	zbar2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	23693  

Old 07-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default clutch return springs and linkage

Also, I’d appreciate feedback on whether or not I reinstalled my clutch linkage correctly. I see that the z-bar hits against the ram air manifold (I just replaced the 4-tube headers with a set of RA manifolds). Should there be any contact between the z-bar and the manifold? Might this be the incorrect z-bar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zbar3.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	23695   Click image for larger version

Name:	zbar5.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	23696   Click image for larger version

Name:	zbar7.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	23697  

Old 07-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Racer boy, First, I have read that the Ram Air manifolds do have a clearance problem with the z-bar on manual trans cars. Supposedly just letting it make contact with the manifold(as a stop) and adjusting the linkage accordingly poses no problems. I guess we'll see as I got the same manifolds for my 76 T/A. I have not installed them yet so I'll let you know what I find when I do. Second, The return spring goes to the bracket on the subframe that is to the left of the manifold in the first and third photo of your second post. I just ordered a new one from AMES.

Last edited by johnsma22; 07-31-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Second, The return spring goes to the bracket on the subframe that is to the left of the manifold in the first and third photo of your second post. I just ordered a new one from AMES.
Thanks John.
If one end of the spring goes in that bracket, where does the other end go? Around the z-bar? If so, it's kind of at a weird angle.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The other end goes to the end of the clutch fork also. I have never seen the spring that you refer to in your first post that goes from the clutch fork to the z-bar used for anti-rattle. Was not in my haynes manual. But the haynes manual is kind of generic. Sound like a good idea though.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 08-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

goes in same hole as the anti rattle spring, and to subframe bracket as has been stated. I looked forever for the elusive zbar that didnt hit and found there wasnt one! I also use the 67-69 (listed as) oil filter R/A adapter to move the oil filter off the R/A manifold, its awful hot there.