Old 12-03-2023, 09:28 AM

Default replacing the dash wireing, how difficult?

My 71 LeMans has a very hacked up underdash harness that I probably should replace. How difficult is this project? Should I remove the dash pad and cluster to do it or is there a more simple way that it can be done? At the same time I am going to install the tach and gauges and a new stereo. The cigarette lighter will now be a port to insert a thumb drive for the stereo.
This is a non A/C car.
The harness I got is from a tach and gauges car so that should be a plug and play part.
If I have to remove the dash and pad, where do I start?

Thanks all, Mark

Old 12-03-2023, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't have A/C, it's not that hard to pull dash. Takes a little more time with A/C. You want to pull dash to easily get at all the wiring.
Dash removal https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=830000

Old 12-03-2023, 11:33 AM

That thread is GREAT, just what I needed for getting me off my butt to this job.

Many thanks again, Mark

Old 12-06-2023, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Trying to do wiring while upside down with feet out the door hurts

It is infinitely easier with dash out and propped up on sawhorses or body stand with foam to protect the vinyl side (I use a pool noodle sliced down the side and put over the saw horse).

You will be able to easily get at everything and tie it all nice before reinstalling the dash.

Consider replacing all the dash and indicator bulbs while you are at it, it will never be any easier.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 12-07-2023, 08:41 AM

Great advice on the bulbs and the saw horses, I have a set in mind to use. Actually looking forward to this project, one more thing getting done to get the car back to reliability.

Thanks again all, Mark

Old 12-07-2023, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pull the dash AND the harness together. A lot faster.

Disconnect the bulkhead connector under the hood. Pull the 2 bolts that hold the fuse box to the wall. Pull the 2 door switch wires for dome light.

It`s been a while so I might be forgetting something else. Pull that dash WITH the harness. Then, undo old harness and replace harness on dash OUT of the car.

Then, install dash back together with new harness already attached and plugged in. Gravy.

The Following User Says Thank You to PunchT37 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchT37 View Post
Pull the dash AND the harness together. A lot faster.

Disconnect the bulkhead connector under the hood. Pull the 2 bolts that hold the fuse box to the wall. Pull the 2 door switch wires for dome light.

It`s been a while so I might be forgetting something else. Pull that dash WITH the harness. Then, undo old harness and replace harness on dash OUT of the car.

Then, install dash back together with new harness already attached and plugged in. Gravy.
Very good advice!

Have quite a few fold up sawhorses out in my shop, & they also get some use, but the ABSOLUTE best platform I've found for carefully loading the large molded dash assemblies is a roll around fold-up Ping Pong table. Very easy to place the dash to be loaded next to an example (loaded) dash assembly. When done, clear it off, fold it up, & out of the work zone.