Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up Echoes of Norwood: GMs Auto Production

Echoes of Norwood: GMs Auto Production during the 20th Century

http://norwoodassemblyplant.com/

Hint: click on the website image to start view of 34 photo slideshow

Last edited by Alvin; 01-02-2014 at 12:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alvin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks! I think it was picture 28 that has a 79 TA in it . Odd that it didn't have the front spoiler and flares on it yet. Rear flares are there.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Senior Chief

they shipped them in the trunk along with the front spoiler so they wouldn't get damaged in transport.

The Following User Says Thank You to pontiacmonstr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacmonstr View Post
they shipped them in the trunk along with the front spoiler so they wouldn't get damaged in transport.
IIRC, there's a B&W photo of them loaded on a car hauler full of new 2nd gen T/As wo front air dams in

The Faboulous Firebird
and/or
FIREBIRD! America's Premier Performance Car

Old 01-02-2014, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dyno.....?

Enjoyed the slide show.....Looks like one of the pics is a 79 T/A on a dyno?

Guess that was the final assembly test drive?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79 TA bw.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	348261  

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
Thanks! I think it was picture 28 that has a 79 TA in it . Odd that it didn't have the front spoiler and flares on it yet. Rear flares are there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacmonstr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
Enjoyed the slide show.....Looks like one of the pics is a 79 T/A on a dyno?

Guess that was the final assembly test drive?
Yeah, pretty cool. My WAG is this is the drivetrain QC test prior to final out the door to the lots?
Also note no trim rings on the RA II wheels...delivered in trunk for dealer install?
Note the WS6 on the lift on the upper left of same photo.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct. That is "roll test", where vehicles are run through the gears, all of the electrical features are cycled (turn signals, lights, brake lights, washers, wipers, windows, locks, high beams, etc) before being driven out the back door. Often the front end alignment is done in this same station but sometimes there is a separate alignment station.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2014, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that you mention it, it does look like the lights are on in that pic.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Yeah, pretty cool. My WAG is this is the drivetrain QC test prior to final out the door to the lots?
Also note no trim rings on the RA II wheels...delivered in trunk for dealer install?
Note the WS6 on the lift on the upper left of same photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Correct. That is "roll test", where vehicles are run through the gears, all of the electrical features are cycled (turn signals, lights, brake lights, washers, wipers, windows, locks, high beams, etc) before being driven out the back door. Often the front end alignment is done in this same station but sometimes there is a separate alignment station.

K
Thxs K. Since I don't have a copy of the book yet, any knowledge or WAG as to why the WS6 car on lift and the one w jacked up rear seemingly off the production line flow path?

QC "corrections", "optional equipment" installation or ?

Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes - usually there were multiple roll test "booths" in order to keep up with production flow. So - one driver goes all the way to the far right booth, the next driver off the end of the line goes into the next available roll test booth,etc. There might be three, four or five roll test stations depending on the final line rate.

Often after roll test there is another short repair line to fix small items that can be fixed quickly (backup lights didn't work, horn inop, etc).

There are usually two stationary repair zones: "light" repair, for items that couldn't quite be done will the vehicle was going down the short repair line, and "heavy" repair for the serious stuff: engine swaps, trans swaps, axle swaps, frame swaps, etc. The vehicle on the hoist is in either light repair or heavy repair.

After all the repairs are bought off the vehicle is ready to be driven over to the shipping building.

QC would be correction of existing equipment; no new installation of option content would be done at this point.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Yes - usually there were multiple roll test "booths" in order to keep up with production flow. So - one driver goes all the way to the far right booth, the next driver off the end of the line goes into the next available roll test booth,etc. There might be three, four or five roll test stations depending on the final line rate.

Often after roll test there is another short repair line to fix small items that can be fixed quickly (backup lights didn't work, horn inop, etc).

There are usually two stationary repair zones: "light" repair, for items that couldn't quite be done will the vehicle was going down the short repair line, and "heavy" repair for the serious stuff: engine swaps, trans swaps, axle swaps, frame swaps, etc. The vehicle on the hoist is in either light repair or heavy repair.

After all the repairs are bought off the vehicle is ready to be driven over to the shipping building.

QC would be correction of existing equipment; no new installation of option content would be done at this point.

K
Thxs Keith! Your input was my WAG.

Interesting to see the lone Camaro next to the TA on the roller, seemingly in a sea of Firebirds. I know same line for both Chevy and Pontiac...still cool.

Your point of the multiple roll booths reminds me of the sheer volume of FBodies rolling out of production in 1979. With 117,000+ '79 Trans Ams, add in the other Firebirds and Camaros that year and those workers were hopping!

I wonder what the overall numbers were for Norwood and Van Nuys FBody production for 1978 and 1979?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Thxs Keith! Your input was my WAG.

Interesting to see the lone Camaro next to the TA on the roller, seemingly in a sea of Firebirds. I know same line for both Chevy and Pontiac...still cool.

Your point of the multiple roll booths reminds me of the sheer volume of FBodies rolling out of production in 1979. With 117,000+ '79 Trans Ams, add in the other Firebirds and Camaros that year and those workers were hopping!

I wonder what the overall numbers were for Norwood and Van Nuys FBody production for 1978 and 1979?
Total Firebird Production*
1978: 187,284
1979: 211,453

*Source - Illustrated Firebird Buyers Guide

Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Echoes of Norwood: GMs Auto Production during the 20th Century

http://norwoodassemblyplant.com/

Hint: click on the website image to start view of 34 photo slideshow
Went to the website and purchased the book. Got it real quick. Very good read! If anyone is interested in how the assembly line worked, this is a must have book. Thanks for posting the website!!

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles bledsoe View Post
Very good read! If anyone is interested in how the assembly line worked, this is a must have book.
"Works".

Still done pretty much the same way. I don't think the overall process has changed much since the Great Depression.

Here's GM's most advanced vehicle, still built with a piece of paper taped to the front end.

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	First 2013 Volt1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	348869   Click image for larger version

Name:	First 2013 Volt2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	348870  

The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Wink Build sheet Bingo!

Quote:
"Works".

Still done pretty much the same way. I don't think the overall process has changed much since the Great Depression.

Here's GM's most advanced vehicle, still built with a piece of paper taped to the front end.

K
For future collectors and restorers: Where are they hiding the other Volt build sheets - under rear seat back, top of gas tank, under passenger footwell carpeting, or?

More like 2nd gen FBody locations?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles bledsoe View Post
Went to the website and purchased the book. Got it real quick. Very good read! If anyone is interested in how the assembly line worked, this is a must have book. Thanks for posting the website!!
Glad to assist and add to their book sales. Enjoy!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
For future collectors and restorers: Where are they hiding the other Volt build sheets - under rear seat back, top of gas tank, under passenger footwell carpeting, or?

More like 2nd gen FBody locations?
I think they all get cleaned out pretty well, so I doubt any remain.

For Volt there is one for the IP line, one for Chassis/Powertrain, and one for the final line. There is a big wastebasket at the end of the final line and the intent is that they all go in there.

K

The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have relations gotten any better between GM management and the line workers? I never relized that so much turmoil existed back then. I knew that there were strikes now and then, found out that my 72 Formula was one of the last cars out prior to the shutdown, but for the most part, I thought that folks really liked working there. The book states that in the early days of Norwood that was the case. The book is a very good read, it's hard to put down. Thanks again Alvin for posting!

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
The Following User Says Thank You to charles bledsoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Suspended

Wink

"This review is from: Echoes of Norwood General Motors Automobile Production During the Twentieth Century (Paperback)"

"This book shares facts like they really were at the Norwood Facility in Ohio. From the workers who built these cars, who would have thought a worker who ordered a car could ride it down the line and get options added with a wink of an eye, and the built sheet never reflect it? This book puts to bed all the "experts" who claim, " Chevy never built it that way" or "they always included this when you ordered that". Mr Borris shares story's, facts and photos from workers who built them. Excellent reading."

Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
"This review is from: Echoes of Norwood General Motors Automobile Production During the Twentieth Century (Paperback)"

"This book shares facts like they really were at the Norwood Facility in Ohio. From the workers who built these cars, who would have thought a worker who ordered a car could ride it down the line and get options added with a wink of an eye, and the built sheet never reflect it? This book puts to bed all the "experts" who claim, " Chevy never built it that way" or "they always included this when you ordered that". Mr Borris shares story's, facts and photos from workers who built them. Excellent reading."
Orderd my copy last week and hope to have it in my hot little hands tomorrow....................

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post: