67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Senior Chief

Default Let's talk rear ends. (giggity)

Still in the researching phase with what I'd like to do to my '68, today's topic being rear end options.

The car has the original BOP 10 bolt, with 2.56 gears, that's just not going to cut it for me. Seems there are an infinite number of choices though, and it's overwhelming for someone who's just starting out!

12 bolt? Moser XX spline axles? C-clip?? Ford 9"? Tru-trac? And the dozens of rear end gear ratio options??

My plans for the car are to boarderline daily drive it, any time there's no rain in the forecast, the car will be on the road! Plenty of highway use, so I don't want too tall of a gear. It's got the original Pontiac 350, with the usual bolt ons...4bbl Holley 650, Edelbrock intake, mild cam, and headers. Trans is the original 2sp powerglide, that will likely be replaced by a 2004R with the appropriate stall converter for my setup at the time of replacement. Tire size is to be determined. I'd like 18" wheels, but I've seen plenty of stellar examples of cars with 17's that I would have no problem imitating their stance in order to save a few bucks. Tire size is up in the air too.

So, what do you guys think would be the way to go? Can I retain the stock housing and just upgrade the gears and add posi? I'm not even sure if that's an appropriate way to say that...."add posi", because I don't know what that entails. Is it a separate part I need to buy and install/have installed along with the new gears? Or do gears "come" with posi if you wanted it? Would it be easier to just buy a whole new housing with the gears, posi, axles all ready to go? I'm sure that's the more expensive route, but I'd have no problem simply dropping out the original rear end and installing a new one. I don't have the knowledge to rebuild a rear end on my own, I've never done it, so I'd likely have to take it somewhere to have the new gears installed.

I'd also like to add rear discs too at some point. I was going to hold off and just upgrade the front to power disc, to save money, but it would be a good time to do the rears with the rear end blown apart like that, or on a brand new housing.