Old 10-15-2016, 09:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default hwy 99, most dangerous road in the US

http://www.abc10.com/news/local/cali...n-us/335866692

I and many more of you drive HWY 99 everyday. 264 fatalities in 5 years. Be careful

Old 10-17-2016, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had no idea. That fog is bad up there.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Picture this, it's early morning your driving north to Fresno on 99. Just passed Delano, 99 goes to 2 lanes. Traffic is light and moving at 65+. Light ground fog in patches are on the freeway. Your lead car in a pack of 15 cars and trucks spread out over a half mile. Your a mile behind 3 18 wheelers that are passing each other. You hit one of those patches of fog and instead of blowing through it in a couple of 100 feet it get thick fast!! So thick you can't see the lines on the road anymore and your still going 60 mph. You starting slowing down hoping to find the traffic lane line. Still at 45 mph you find those 18 wheelers crash into each other. As you try to figure out what the hell just happen the other 15 cars and trucks find you. That's "tully fog"

Old 10-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Some drivers we talked to say the lanes are narrow and the on-ramps don't have much room". BS excuse.

North of Fresno fog is really bad. On my way up to Sac for street racing one year I was driving up very early morning. For a stretch about 50 miles it was so bad you HAD to go about 10mph. You couldn't see the end of your hood let alone red lights in front of you. Lines, yea right! Its the same as a white out in snow, you drive on the edge of the road with your tire so you even know where the f**k it is. But there are always idiots that just haul ass blindly because "they know the road" and magically think they know the traffic pattern at all times. It can be like that anywhere from Bakersfield to Stockton tho.

I say good riddance, jut a shame they can take innocent people with them. Too many people have fog lamps up too high, drive with their hi beams, have illegally modified headlights, etc. But boils down to the usual multiple failings to make the storm right for a death.

I drive it with no fear and I never give it a second thought really. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been several years ago, but we were stopped for 5 hours going up 99 to Lake Tahoe because of a fatal accident somewhere in front of us; and then were stopped for several hours again on our way home while then cleared another fatal accident. Bright sunny days going and coming in the middle of summer. Wasn't because of lack of traffic enforcement, seemed like every half hour my detector would let me know of another speed trap. The second accident looked like the pickup had drifted onto the soft shoulder and rolled when he came back on the highway only to be T-boned by the car behind him.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Hwy. 99 Road Trip...Car Show

Sharren and I recently drove round trip from our home in SoCal to Clovis, CA for the annual Pontiacs of Central California's car show that used to be held in Madera, CA. It's been a few years since we traveled this hwy. and we weren't looking forward to the bomb-cratered, lumpy road surface or competing for the left lane with the large volume of big rigs that frequent this major north-south artery . We were pleasantly surprised to find a much improved surface due to a lot of new concrete and obvious surface grinding in many of the formerly high spots . Additionally, the traffic was almost bearable during our midday northbound trip, but heavy and raining when coming home late Saturday afternoon as a large storm entered our region .

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins