Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Outlook.com Email

Haven't been able to get outlook.com to come up for weeks now.

I probably get half or more of my Emails thru Outlook.

I Google it & see that others are also having problems. Seems that if they are going to fix it, they've had plenty of time.

I need for some of you resident computer guys to tell me how or IF I can restore my outlook.com Email account. I use an Acer Chromebook, if that makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated !

PS: Keep in mind that I'm an old guy & am probably still classified as a computer dummy. So, I need simple step-by-step instruction.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not a computer expert but I'm not having trouble opening outlook.com. I never use it and my email address is at a different domain but I can access my email fine when I open outlook.com in a web browser.

Do you have an email account at outlook.com or are you using outlook.com to access email from an account at a different domain? To clarify, is your email address that you use at outlook.com like this: username@outlook.com or like this: username@otherdomain.com?

On your Chromebook, what happens when you try to open outlook.com in your browser?

Do you know if you have a Microsoft Account? I have to be logged into my Microsoft Account to access my email at outlook.com. I access my Microsoft Account at this web address: https://account.microsoft.com/

Can you open account.microsoft.com by clicking the link above?

Old 11-29-2020, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All I get is "This site can not be reached".

My Email is(was) @ outlook.com.

Have been using it without any problems, for more than a year, maybe a couple of years. Don't really remember.

Also have a gmail account that I've had for several years. Even opened another one. Can't remember the name right now. Don't use it much.

Decided to get more than one email address because I got locked out of my 1st one, which was yahoo, IIRC. One day they asked me to sign in again & I couldn't remember my PW. Couldn't get a new PW because they'd only correspond by text, to my cell phone. I didn't have a cell phone. We only had the land line number we've had since 1978. They said that without a cell phone or alternate email site being listed on my initial account, I could never get back into my email account.

So, that's when I opened the gmail account, followed by the outlook account. If I can't get back into my outlook account, don't know what other problems that will cause. It's the email I used to correspond with several companies I do business with. Don't know what they'll do, when I no longer respond to their emails. I suppose they'll either assume I don't wanna do business with them anymore, or assume I died.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you try following the link to open account.microsoft.com?

I use Edge on a PC laptop and not Chrome but I can open both outlook.com and account.microsoft.com right now.

If you cannot open the Microsoft Account page it seems like maybe an internet connection issue (like a DNS issue)?

Can you open the MSFT home page at this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/

Old 12-01-2020, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like I'm not the only one who can't access outlook. Says server can not be reached.

https://downdetector.com/status/outlook/

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/outlook.com.html

https://servicesdown.com/services/outlook

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-01-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I currently have no issue accessing outlook.com so in general, MSFT's email service is currently not "down".

I don't know if access issues can get messed up "locally", but wouldn't surprise me.

Your second linked site, "isitdownrightnow" also shows outlook.com to be "UP" currently.

This site has some troubleshooting ideas. Have you tried them?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-12-01 084619.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	555148