Old 01-01-2021, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1980 Turbo Trans AM carburetor question HELP!

I have an 80 Turbo TA I'm trying to get started, so the first thing I thought to do is rebuild the carb. I found a rebuilt carb locally for $100 and bought it, thinking it would work... it won't. It's a non-turbo 17080272 and my carb is a correct 17080274.

In the process of rebuilding my carb I used parts off the rebuilt carb. When I took the 17080272 carb apart, there was a plastic insert that wasn't on my carb when I took it apart. In poking around the web, I think this is called a "fuel bowl" but I'm not sure; it's #234 in the first drawing. Note that my carb rebuild kit doesn't show this as part of the 17080274 carb exploded view.

My question is this, should the 301 Turbo carburetor have this black insert installed? (see pic #2).

Thanks

See part #234

With the plastic insert as it came on the 17080272

How my carb looked when I took it apart

Old 01-01-2021, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found the answer to my question. There's more than one thread in the 301 garage site with excellent info. My objective is to get the car running. If it runs, I'll probably take the carb off and ship it to a pro to rebuild it so it runs well. For now, just hoping it starts. I bought the car off eBay and was going to just swap the engine, but was overtaken by guilt so I had to give it a shot... fingers crossed. Note I still don't know what that black plastic part is called or how to get a new one (stole it from the other carb). If anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

301T turbo carb rebuild at 301 garage:

http://www.301garage.com/forum/index.php?topic=6265.15

Old 01-01-2021, 11:08 PM
Suspended

aneroid insert

Old 01-02-2021, 06:32 PM
Senior Chief

TTAperformance. Turbo Joe is the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-02-2021, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
aneroid insert
Thanks. I found this after I found out what it was called. I guess you don't need these installed for it to run .

https://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?topic=33888.0

Quote:
"after alot of searching i figured out what its called its an aneroid cavity insert

"first released in 1975, the m4me models differ from the conventional 4mv-4mc carburetor models in that the m prefix designates modified, indicating the primary side is revised to accommodate an adjustable metering rod assembly with filler spool, or aneroid-metering rod assembly, where required, and the auxiliary power piston assembly (if used). the aneroid feature is normally used to achieve altitude compensation in air/fuel mixtures (designated models m4mca-m4mea). later modified models use separated main wells with an aneroid cavity insert in the float bowl replacing the adjustable metering rod or aneroid-metering rod assembly."

"a plastic bowl insert is included to reduce the free volume above the fuel level to prevent fuel loss to the main metering jets during critical vehicle maneuvers"

"on m4mc and m4me models, either a filler spool or an aneroid cavity insert is used in the fuel chamber to reduce fuel slosh on turns"

it all makes sense now!! when i was looking at the carb i couldn't figure out why the insert was there. the fuel has nowhere to go except the space the insert took up. so basically its not necessary, and from what i read not all q-jets came with the insert, but it helps keep the fuel from moving around in the bowl under hard turning, acceleration, and braking "

Last edited by thews; 01-02-2021 at 06:56 PM.