Old 05-17-2020, 07:13 PM

Default Updated rear end pic

Got some more work done today. Axle starting to look like new again.

Thanks for your feedback Wick!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79 Rear axle may 20.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	540420  

Old 05-18-2020, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesnt look like the same one, great work! Where did you get your new lines from?

Old 06-13-2020, 04:33 PM

Default Progress, finally

Finally able to make some visible progress today. Next step is to get the axle shafts put back in the housing. Waiting on my GM guru friend to help on this. I am lacking brake pads for the new calipers and then I am done collecting parts for the rear end. Thanks to scarebird for the new e-brake rebuild parts!

I did a little bodywork under the car recently before it was ready for a final cleaning. I shot some primer followed by blue overspray and some satin black paint. It is starting to look like a new/nice car again!

Once I get the rear end installed back under the car, I will take the front subframe out!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79 Rear axle june 20.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	542371   Click image for larger version

Name:	79 Underbody june 20.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	542372  

Old 06-13-2020, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks awesome.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I should have sent mine along with yours that way you could have done 2 at the same time! Looks Great!!

Old 07-26-2020, 04:18 PM

Default Dash pad...

Ok, so I am hopeful to get the rear axle mounted under the car within the next few days. Pictures to follow!

I have been watching on the sidelines for a dash pad. The original has had the radio hole butchered and the pad itself looks as though it might have been punched. It is not repairable. I would ultimately love to find another donor dash in blue but realize this might be a little unreasonable. For some reason I have lost out on 3 good dashes and am getting frustrated!

1. 1977 base firebird, IN, original radio, no cracks. Car has deluxe, tuxedo interior and I asked about purchasing the mint sunvisors. Seller is getting ready to pull the dash and accidently put a crack in it. I said no problem, we can adjust the price and I can have the crack repaired. Ghosted!

2. 1978 Esprit, MN, original radio, slight crack in normal spot, and a beautiful 4 speed console with manual crank windows. We agree on a price, I send him a deposit and he sells the complete car!

3. 1979 TA, MI, original radio, no cracks, seller states asking price, I agree. Tells me to call him back next week to confirm. I call, he replies dash is being pulled as we speak. Call back on Friday to confirm. Ghosted!

4. 1979 Esprit, WA, with the light blue interior with the original radio and a slight typical crack. Owner only wants to sell car complete because it was his father's car for 20 years and he can't stand to see it parted out even though it has sat outside for the last 6 years unlicensed.

Maybe I need to give up my search for the time being? Anyone have a nice dash for sale?

Old 07-26-2020, 06:35 PM

Default Axle update!

Feels like it is about 100 degrees outside with 50% humidity today. A good day to be working in the garage under the car!

Axle is finally under the car. I am stoked and actually did it solo too! I need to purchase some new shocks, install the e-brake cables, finish tightening some bolts for the rear spring shackle, install the rear end cover and then fill it with some new gear lube.

Stay cool, well and safe!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Axle July 20 1.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	545864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle July 20 2.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	545865  

Old 07-26-2020, 07:34 PM

I’ve got a couple extra dash pads, will send a pm.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:53 AM

Default Dash

Poncho Dave-

Thanks for the reply, excited to hear what you have!

Thanks,
Jim

Old 08-16-2020, 04:11 PM

Default Steering wheel

I have been eyeing my steering wheel in the car since I got it. The top third section of the steering wheel was extremely worn down past the shiny original blue finish. The horn button was as bad if not worse. I messaged a guy about a steering wheel he had for sale that he had refinished. So I figured, maybe I could refinish mine? Unfortunately, I got a head of myself and didn't take a before picture. This is the after, just picture a steering wheel that should have been replaced!

As you can see, the dash board is trashed! Without jinxing myself, I am hopeful to give you a positive report before the end of the month about a new purchase.

Also, I am looking for a non-A/C engine turned dash faceplate if anyone has an excellent piece for sale please!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79 Steering wheel.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	547371  

Old 08-23-2020, 03:56 PM

Default Dash pad score!

I feel like it is Christmas in August!

I found this dash pad in MN. My best friend has a plane and just needs an excuse to go flying. We thought we would make a trip north for a quick dash pad pick up. However, the seller has family in Kansas City and said he would bring it down on his next trip! So, I purchased an excellent core for restoring and didn't have to pay for shipping or worrying about what it would look like if it had been shipped! I believe it is a nice score for $100!

Thanks again to Poncho Dave for reaching out to me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dash pad 2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	547801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash pad 1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	547802  

Old 11-22-2020, 03:10 PM

Default Feel like I won the lottery!

I like a paper trail and provenance for a car. This project car had a faint story that didn't tell much. I was able to reach out to the previous long term owner who had the car stored in his barn for years. He purchased the car from his best friends younger brother. The younger brother is the one who ran the car hard and put it away wet one too many times. I am hopeful to someday talk with the best friend. I reached out to to the younger brother owner, but he wasn't receptive to talking and cars are far out of his system now.

The PHS showed the car was delivered new to Coopers Pontiac Olds GMC in Chestertown, MD. I did a search on Goopers after initially getting the PHS, but it is closed. I recently thought, who might have bought the dealership and if they might have any old records? Ramsey is the current dealer in Chestertown. I called Ramsey, explained my reason for calling and ended up speaking with the owner, Henry Ramsey himself! Remember this is small town USA. He was extremely helpful and directed me to call Bill Cooper, Jr. After several phone calls, Bill and I were discussing my 1979 Trans Am that was sold new from his father's dealership. He was very receptive to my call and explained to me that about two weeks prior to my call, he had purged all of the old records he had kept from the dealership for years! Ugh, what rotten luck! Two weeks!!! I explained to Bill how unique my car was and how it was a special order car and not one that the dealer might have ordered and put on the lot for sale. Bill understood everything I was saying and then some! His father had passed away several years back and a number of the folks from the business had too. Over the next few weeks I would hear from him about a friend he had talked to or another lead that didn't pan out. Finally, this past Thursday, Bill sent me a text that he had found the original owner of my car! No way!!! I tried to phone the man and left a voicemail message. Friday morning I got a text reply saying that he would call me later that night. I was thinking he would be calling earlier than later assuming he was back in MD. Around 8 pm Friday night, the call came in! Albie McHenry phoned me from his son's home in CA where he was visiting, a two hour delay from the central time zone.

Albie was raised on a dairy farm in Chestertown, MD and started saving his money from when he was young. At age 20, he went into Coopers Pontiac and special ordered his Atlantis Blue 1979 W72, 4 speed Trans Am! Evidently a friend had a similar blue 1978 W72 Trans Am that was an automatic. The two raced frequently, with the 4 speed winning!

Albie was very excited to hear from me and to hear that his old car is still intact and in the process of a complete restoration. He has promised to dig through his records and photo albums when he returns home after his visit in CA. He also mentioned that his parents are true believers in keeping everything and that they too might have something for the car!

I am hopeful for pieces of the cars history that I can get from Albie will help paint a picture and complete the story of this very unique car!

More to come!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 78Macho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2021, 06:48 PM

Default 2021 Update

Seems like work in the office has been getting in the way of progress on the car. Finally have an update with pictures today.

Been cleaning the inside floor boards. Some minor surface rust, assuming from leaking front rear windows. Glad it wasn't worse.

Dropped the front subframe today. Minor amount of cleaning underneath that I couldn't get to behind the subframe. Will start on the firewall next. Planning to send the brake booster and master cylinder out for a replating and rebuild.

Next step is to disassemble front end from the subframe.

Anyone have a good vendor to recommend to refinish the factory alloy wheels?

Wishing everyone a safe and healthy new year!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	firewall 7.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	558104   Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall 8.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	558105   Click image for larger version

Name:	firewall 9.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	558106  

Old 02-11-2021, 07:56 PM

Default 1979 W72 stripper survivor for sale

In searching for some engine parts, I ran across a dealer who has a nearly identical 1979 W72 stripper to mine! It is a 13K survivor with the standard interior, black seat belts, roof drip moldings, hood bird and a radio. Under side is beautiful!

This car is for sale! If you are interested, let me know and I can put you in contact with the owner.

Jim
glasic74@hotmail.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79 W72 Survivor.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	560581  

Old 02-11-2021, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

whats he want for it

Old 02-12-2021, 09:09 AM

Asking price is $45K

Old 06-06-2021, 07:02 PM

Default June update

Seems like forever since my last posting. Work has been way too many hours and by the time I get home, the blue car is the furthest from my interest.

I had my friend Joe Hand freshen up the wiper motor. He does excellent work!

I sent the master cylinder and power brake booster to White Post Restoration in VA for a rebuild and re-plating.

This is a stamp on the passenger side rear of the sub-frame. Anyone know if it is a part number?

The underside front is now clean, repaired and painted black. I need to get some blue overspray paint applied next.

The subframe is 85% cleaned. the next step is to take the springs, spindles and A-arms off. Considering a quick media blast of these items.

I was able to purchase a complete owners manual packet on ebay earlier this week! I have been checking it daily for months and one popped up that I felt was priced pretty low.

I need to make an order with Ames for a urethane sub-frame mounting kit and some other items.

Hope everyone is well. Glad the pandemic is slowing. I lost a very close co-worker to the virus in late February.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wiper motor after.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	567881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power brake booster after.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	567882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Subframe pass part number stamp.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	567883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front underside after.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	567884  

Old 06-07-2021, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Parts look fantastic! Keep up the good work. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice progress.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 06-07-2021, 11:35 AM

Were you able to get any old photos or other information from the original owner?