Old 08-15-2020, 06:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1965 GTO tri-power cars have different hood insulation

I was just wondering my tri power is in my 65 tempest now and I am ready to put hood on.
The hood has insulation and it sure looks like it’s going to be an interference fit.
Thanks

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-15-2020, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's a good question. On our 64 the hood insulation does rub on the tripower air cleaner lids. I have to polish the chrome lids again every so often. It never occurred to me that the tripower cars might have gotten a different insulation pad to provide more clearance to the tripower carb lids.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too bad the '64 Tri-Power cars didn't have a hood pad to clear the air cleaners. On the '64 hood, there is a circular depression in the pad that fits the 4 bbl. air cleaner. Same hood pad for the Tri-Power cars.

On my '64, I put three old chrome tops on the air cleaners for driving and replace them with shiny ones at shows. A PITA, but not horrible. On my wife's '64, we just left the hood pad off, so we don't contend with the rubbing issue.

Is it true that '65 Tri-Power GTO's did have a different hood pad? I don't think so. Isn't the hood a little higher in the middle in '65?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-16-2020, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

65 hood insulation rubs the tri power lids also. I've never seen anything but the molded hood pad that was imprinted for the 4bbl, even on factory tri power cars.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-17-2020, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my 61 Ventura the insulation has a sight "in service" depression from the air cleaner. I use the large big car air cleaner so it gets kind of close to the hood. My PO replaced the hood insulation but he used the small air cleaners. Fortunately I never had the big air cleaner when the car had the taller 64 manifold. I had gone to a date correct 61 manifold before I scored the big air cleaner.

But there is a problem with the generator if you have AC in some of the big cars. It requires a small cut out of the insulation or the generator fan will shred the insulation.

But you have an A body. Parts book lists 9775371 for T/6 and T/8 in 64. 9780586 for T/6 and T/8 in 65 and 66. That's as far as the 66 parts book goes but one would think that 67 is the same as 66. No mention of exceptions for 3x2.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:27 AM
Boost Engineer

I removed my Insulation Pad many years ago. It would scratch up the air cleaners.

Later when I ran Holley carbs, Holley to 66 Intake adaptors, and the "ribbed" O'Brian rectangular air cleaners they would fit because the pad was not there. They were much more durable.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:24 PM

1966 GTO original tri power car, original hood pad, the pad is molded for the 4 bbl air cleaner set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 GTO Hood_1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	547683