Old 12-11-2020, 10:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Y82 questions

We are at a crossroads on my restoration...

Just about finished the welding.....and shell will go in for media blasting soon...

It's a nicely optioned car...with Y82 W72/auto deluxe cloth interior...power windows. tilt ...tint and heated back glass...

My goal is a dead stock restoration......with a few stealth HP tweaks...and a freer breathing dual exhaust.

The original block is gone...but engine will appear to be correct...
and I am building this car to drive and enjoy......but re-sale is always a consideration for me ...on ANY vehicle...

Originally I had planned to add/convert to factory AC...and may still will.....but now weighing out the pro's and con's...of adding a major option that is not on the PHS invoice.

How will this affect the value...of a non-#'s matching restoration?

Also having some thoughts of converting to 4 speed.....but already have several similar to drive....and an auto with AC does have a certain appeal..

Opinions?

Last edited by Green Hornet; 12-11-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Y82 option alone is what will give this one value. I would personally keep this one as close to the PHS as possible regardless of NOM.

Changing the firewall and all of the other mods to upgrade to A/C don't seem to be worth it to me.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-14-2020, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree that a lot of the resale value is the fact that it is a documented y82. Non original motor will def. affect the value a bit and scare off the high end buyer. Adding something like 'vintage air' should only increase the value. If the car did not have air to begin with I dont see anything wrong with putting something like that in. Buyers in southern states NEED a/c even in a classic and Im sure they would prefer something that should be a bit more reliable and servicable than a 40+ yr old unit.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

4 speed is a flip the coin decision. Again, for the serious buyer, I think changing from factory spec is risky and for a y82 may be a negative, on a reg t/a a lot of people will look for a 4 speed. If it was a factory, manual def would add a bit of value. If you have any doubts about what will affect the value, take a look through the recent 'is 30k too much thread'. That was a dynamite looking car, but people picked that thing apart! (albeit it was being sold as a low mileage original)

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2020, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The red T/A in that thread IS a nice car, no doubt, and was mercilessly picked apart to death. The asking price is def strong, but I mean it was being made out to be a POS project car by some...

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 12-15-2020, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree. Again the big problem with the red car was it is being sold as original which it clearly isnt, and it is priced as an original.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Overall performance of a vehicle equipped with an automatic trans can be greatly enhanced with a proper selection of a custom torque converter. It's one of the best bangs for the buck, for a performance upgrade.
Cliff can fix you up with a custom torque converter that will put a smile on your face. a $ speed is nice, but the automatic can be awesome, also!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...