Old 06-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The "My '68 Goat" thread posted earlier got me to thinking about my old '68 Goat and how when my wife and I were still dating, we went on a double date/picnic to Piedmont Park in downtown Atlanta with her best friend and her brand new boyfriend, whom my wife and I had never met.
This guy was very proud of a brand spanking new Iroc Z-28 with Crossfire ignition and just about anything else you could get on the thing at the time. This was in about 1984 so it was somewhere around that year model. Very pretty car, sort of a bronze color.
When it came time to leave, we decided to meet up with them at a neighborhood bar and grill on our side of town. About 25 miles away on I-85.
On the way, I guess boyfriend decided that he would have some fun and impress his new girfriend by picking on some "easy meat". I of course, have no idea what he's got in mind.
Now, my '68 Goat was very tight mechanically and was equipped with the standard 400 4bbl, 350hp powerplant backed by a TH-400 and fitted with the factory Hurst Dual-Gate shifter option... but I guess it could be described as something of a "sleeper" with it's faded yellow paint and assorted primered spots. The drivetrain, suspension, interior, etc. was near perfect.
Once on the interstate, boyfriend decides to make his move and I respond immediately. I'm at half to three quarters throttle and we're neck and neck..He pulls ahead slightly and switches over to my lane at about 100 or 105 mph. I guess he figured I wouldn't be needing it anymore. Well, that's the last straw. I floor the Goat and nearly rear end him. He hastily gets out of my lane and the first thing he saw of ol' Betsy is a faded yellow streak. The last thing he saw was my tail lights.
The next time he saw it, it was parked in the lot at the bar and grill and the wife and I have nearly finished our first beers.
He walks over to us with a sheepish look on his face and says "Man! That old thing runs pretty good"...I had my accelerator almost to the floor!"
I look back at him... "I think you meant to say, almost through the floor didn't ya?."
True story.

Greg Reid
Palmetto, Georgia

Old 06-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The "My '68 Goat" thread posted earlier got me to thinking about my old '68 Goat and how when my wife and I were still dating, we went on a double date/picnic to Piedmont Park in downtown Atlanta with her best friend and her brand new boyfriend, whom my wife and I had never met.
This guy was very proud of a brand spanking new Iroc Z-28 with Crossfire ignition and just about anything else you could get on the thing at the time. This was in about 1984 so it was somewhere around that year model. Very pretty car, sort of a bronze color.
When it came time to leave, we decided to meet up with them at a neighborhood bar and grill on our side of town. About 25 miles away on I-85.
On the way, I guess boyfriend decided that he would have some fun and impress his new girfriend by picking on some "easy meat". I of course, have no idea what he's got in mind.
Now, my '68 Goat was very tight mechanically and was equipped with the standard 400 4bbl, 350hp powerplant backed by a TH-400 and fitted with the factory Hurst Dual-Gate shifter option... but I guess it could be described as something of a "sleeper" with it's faded yellow paint and assorted primered spots. The drivetrain, suspension, interior, etc. was near perfect.
Once on the interstate, boyfriend decides to make his move and I respond immediately. I'm at half to three quarters throttle and we're neck and neck..He pulls ahead slightly and switches over to my lane at about 100 or 105 mph. I guess he figured I wouldn't be needing it anymore. Well, that's the last straw. I floor the Goat and nearly rear end him. He hastily gets out of my lane and the first thing he saw of ol' Betsy is a faded yellow streak. The last thing he saw was my tail lights.
The next time he saw it, it was parked in the lot at the bar and grill and the wife and I have nearly finished our first beers.
He walks over to us with a sheepish look on his face and says "Man! That old thing runs pretty good"...I had my accelerator almost to the floor!"
I look back at him... "I think you meant to say, almost through the floor didn't ya?."
True story.

Greg Reid
Palmetto, Georgia

Old 06-20-2003, 04:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to liljg

absolutely beautiful. hope to have a few of those stories to share in the near future.

Dave Whipple

Old 06-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I owe you an apology Dave. I did NOT intend to name this thread exactly the same as the one you started. I thought I was doing it slightly different but...Anyway, I wish the you best with your's. Be prepared to fall in love.
At least I did recently get myself another Poncho. It's a 74 Trans Am, 455/400 car. Not a Goat but it's really growing on me.

Greg Reid
Palmetto, Georgia

Old 07-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Senior Chief

He did have it "almost to the floor", that was the only way the 84's could stay in top gear. My buddy's 84 H.O. Z28, with automatic, could only do about 114, if you pushed the accelerator too far, she came out of overdrive, and slowed down! Poor engineering on a real poorly assembled cars.

If it has ti*s or tires, it's gonna cost ya!