Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 65 chrome valve covers

In April at spring Carlisle I bought from AMES a set of 65 GTO v.covers. Put them on in June and of course they leaked,still do. I only put about 50 miles on them. 2 days ago I was wiping them off with a microfiber and the chrome on one was coming off in strips. This is 3 times I have replaced these in 10yrs. The first two sets because they rusted almost as soon as I took them out of the plastic.

The chrome rusts really quickly,they scratch very easy,they leak and the bolt holes are off making it hard to use the factory type bolts.

Since I bought them at Carlisle I didn't get a receipt so I probably can't exchange them. Not blaming AMES or PY as i'm sure they have no control over the manufacturing or quality of these. My roller rockers also put a few bumps in them,but that is my fault for not checking the fit better.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, I don't know if there is only one supplier of these or not, but I've bought 3 or 4 sets in the past few years for PY. Never noticed the bolt hole problem, and I always put 2 or 3 coats of wax on them before I installed them but I never had any problem with the chrome. The set I've got now has been on for almost 3 years and still look like the day I got them. Surely you got a set out of a bad batch!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-21-2015, 05:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah. it must have been a bad batch. These are the worst of the 3 sets I have had.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 AM
Senior Chief

As a FYI if you don't already know, Felpro makes a thicker (1/4") gasket. I had to use the thicker gaskets for the stock type re-pro covers to fit over the oil shields I put on my 65. My covers are a couple years old and the chrome hasn't come off or rusted, but they do scratch easily and I only use micro fiber cloths and spray detailer. I'd call AMES customer service. They are a pretty good company in my opinion, and they may help you out.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had a couple original sets rechromed...........they were $300 a set but at least no hassles with leaks or peeling.
What are the repops costing these days?

Old 10-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a set for my 67 GTO and they looked really good on the car. I never did notice any leaks but one Saturday and a good size show I was wiping them down and almost all the chrome on the drivers side one came off and scattered all over the engine bay.
I bought a set of originals from a fellow PYer and have not had any more problems.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a set 66 valve covers from PY for my 68 400. Had to use 5/16ths cork gaskets and longer bolts. That was 2, maybe even 3, years ago and I've had no problems with leaks, rust, or peeling chrome.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Ames Staff Member

There is only one supplier that we are aware of. PY was carrying the same ones that we are. The valve covers do need to be kept polished and waxed to help protect the chrome from scratching and rust. We just bolted a pair from the shelf on a 65 389 in the office and did not find any hole misalignment issues. Give us a call and we'll issue an RA and you can send them back.