Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith, I was a supervisor in a union industry (not automotive) in my 20's and the same kind of activity went on. I spent 5 minutes hauling one load (I was bored) with our brand new front-end loader (because it was fun to drive) and was warned by the union to stop it or else a grievance would be filed because I was violating the contract. I told them "I was evaluating the performance of the new equipment" and that was the end of it. The good thing about the union contract was that all the rules were spelled out. Any problems with an employee or job function, all you had to do was check the contract.

It would be interesting if a date could be associated with that photo.

Did "LARGE" on the manifest indicated a large dia distributor?

Old 11-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=Keith Seymore;3895365]I saw that, too.

I thought it was a good article, but at the time I had just a couple of super nit-picky comments (Rocky -if you happen to see this I mean it in the most constructive way):

a) The caption for this picture reads "...a worker is putting the finishing touches, etc". Actually, this looks like a line supervisor to me, since he is wearing a necktie. Since he is doing some work, rather than an hourly employee, it means there is something wrong and he is desperately trying to get it fixed before it is too late (like before the engine leaves the last station and is conveyed over to the chassis). Given that background, you can kind of "feel" the tension in the photo and see the look of determination in his face.

When you see "neckties" working on the line, it usually means there is something "bad wrong"....(lol)

He's quickly intalling the "hidden" oil gally plug, some Chev guys were on the line that day...lol.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a staged photo. My wife works at a plant & they did something like that recently where an engineer who did the design work was in the photo, but didn't do the actual hands on assembly. Could be something like that?

Looks like a YS engine with round port heads. What engine would that be? Can't make out the letters on second one

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post

Looks like a YS engine with round port heads. What engine would that be? Can't make out the letters on second one
'73 Y8 (Look at the paper on hoist) is a '73 455 Super Duty.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 02-05-2016 at 09:22 AM.