Old 08-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My Brother in Law's 'Vette and a big black Pontiac

My Brother in Law Drew is not really what you'd call a car guy. While he is mechanically inclined and by no means afraid to get his nails dirty, he's just not a car guy.
One car that he owned and enjoyed was his '68 Corvette that he bought after getting home from Vietnam in about 1970 or so. It's one of those deals where we'll be driving down the road and if we see a '68 Vette, my wife will say, "That's just like the one Drew had"...Or he'll say, "I had a Corvette just like that." He's just not the kind of guy who can tell you what year of a certain car had what engine, etc..

Two weeks ago, my wife and I were visiting Drew and her parents who all live in Tampa. While there, we ambled over to Clearwater one night where there are at least a couple of nice Collecter Car dealerships. While admiring some of the cars in the window, the subject of Drew's 'Vette came up and he brought up the story of an old friend of his who had absolutely blown the doors off his 'Vette one night.
I wondered...
"What kind of car was it Drew?"
"A big ol' black Pontiac!" "'65...'66..Somethin' like that. Big Catalina or Bonneville." "He'd just play with me man...Let me catch up and just leave me again.....I couldn't believe it!..All my friends said I musta' needed a tuneup or somethin' but that big ol' thing just left me any time he wanted to. "Had a big four-twenty something in it."

I got a real kick out of how after all these 30-something years, he was still in awe of that big black Pontiac and how it just destroyed his 'Vette...How he'd just wanted to take it home and park it. Really seemed to have left a lasting impression.

My guess is that it may have been a 2+2...What do you guys think?

Last edited by Greg Reid; 08-15-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Great story Greg --every once in a while a Pontiac will come along and blow the doors of the best chevy- fords etc.out there--some of these Pontiac guys have probably never even been on the internet .

Old 08-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I wish he was more of a car guy. He would have remembered exactly what it was. Maybe it was one of those early Superduties or something of that sort.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Ya it could of been one of the many restored early 60's 389-421 SUPER DUTY CATALINAS----look back at when Pontiac was dominating NASCAR -This rubbed of on a lot Fans -from Father to Son etc. --- even today they could blow the doors of a new Vette-- Ferrari etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62%20Pontiac%20road%20race.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	24971  

Last edited by Wareagle; 08-17-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Now it wasn't a Poncho but it was a '68 (I think) Delta 88 4-door this guy had. It was an old beater mother and stock as a rock. This dang thing would just flat blow the doors off of almost ANY car he put her to on the highway. I don't know why it was so fast but it just flat FLEW down the highway. I didn't matter if it was at 60mph or 110mph (would go about 135-140mph but got light at about 120) it would just drop the secondaries open and HAUL! It was fun. The only thing he had done to it was put one of those Edelbrock water injection systems (he took of a beat-up motor home ) on there to help with detonation and it NEVER detonated.

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 08-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Funny one Uneasyrider

Old 08-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I realize that part of my BIL's problem was probably gearing...but still, the big Pontiac buried him.
I remember almost getting my a$$ handed to me by a big Ford Crown Vic when I was about 18. I was driving a little 240 Z. Another time in the same car, I absolutely DID get my a$$ handed to me by a '77 or '78 Bandit Trans Am. The guy opened up the secondaries and just disappeared. Kinda embarrassing...I had a girl in the car with me and so did the other guy.

Old 08-20-2005, 05:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid
... I absolutely DID get my a$$ handed to me by a '77 or '78 Bandit Trans Am. The guy opened up the secondaries and just disappeared. Kinda embarrassing...I had a girl in the car with me and so did the other guy.
Isn't it COOL though!

― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 08-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Well, the memory stuck with me, that's for sure.

Old 08-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Senior Chief

Those old oldsmobiles 455s were some strong torquers. My favorite one was when we were living in Italy back in the early 70s (military brats). We were going to the base bowling alley one morning and Mr. Peterson was giving us a ride in his Olds Vista Cruiser. Fully loaded, him driving, two more kids up front, three in the middle seat and two of us (me and another) in the rear flip up seat, the one that faces backwards.

It was a beautiful spring morning, windows down and enjoying the breeze, cruising about 55 MPH. This Fiat 600 comes up behinds us, two folks in it, the Fiat peeps the horn and begins to pass, winding the engine up. The Fiat just barely creeps past and it gets even with Mr. Peterson (picture perfect army sargent, flat top, no neck). He turns his head and looks at the car, sneers and floors the Olds. I'll never forget the sound of that 4 barrel opening and tranny kicking down, I though for sure that old q-jet was going to suck that Fiat of the road and into the intake. The car lunged forward and left those guys. Of course we were looking at them as we left them and they were giving us every hand sign in the book. We returned the gestures.

It's such a fond memory, that I would love to have one of those Vista Crusiers.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Dad had an Olds Delta 88 Royal ('71 I think) that was a blast to use to screw with people. It flew down the highway too. You could run down the road at 100mph on the primarys and floor it and it felt like it was dropping into second gear when the secondaries opened. They dropped open and the car hauled to about 140mph. It was pretty light at about 125 and at 140 I really didn't like being in it. He also had a '64 Catalina years ago that was the same way. Just FLEW down the highway.

― Socrates
― Plato

Last edited by uneasyrider; 08-26-2005 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Sex, Fraud said it's the reason for everything.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This discussion reminds me that I had a '62 Caddy Coupe back in the early 80s with a 390 4bbl that would absolutely fly on the interstate. I distinctly remember that it had what I guess now was an overdrive tranny...I just remember thinking at the time that it had a 4 speed automatic because it went through three upshifts.
Next to my first '68 GTO, that's the car I wish I still had. With the windows rolled up, it was so quiet that you could barely hear the horn blow. Power everything and smooth as silk up to about 110mph. I never had the nerve to try to top that.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

A few years ago I saw a 77-78 T/A on the internet -professionally built --powerfull Pontiac engine --lowered --Huge Race tires --roll cage -numbers on the doors etc . and they mentioned it had seen 180 mph --to bad they would'nt allow you to save the pic for this bad boy --it did look Awesome .

Old 08-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I would tell you what my TA has seen recently and how fast I think it will go now but it seems to make some people uncomfortable so I can only tell you hypothetically it could have been doing 156.25mph IF it had been going 125mph and the speed'o was off 20%. IF it had done that and it was pulling as hard as I imagined it still was doing at that speed I would be fairly sure it might do 170mph. Of course I would never do that and it would have to be a "Professional driver on a closed course." I know they sell those new Ford GT's knowing the drivers will drive them right at the speed limit. Sorry for going on it's a little "peeve" from another post.

― Socrates
― Plato

Last edited by uneasyrider; 08-26-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My pet peeve is when you go to a site and they don't allow you to save the pic --some are down right rude ie. using the F word etc. Its not like your trying to get into Area 51's files or something .

Old 08-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagle
My pet peeve is when you go to a site and they don't allow you to save the pic --some are down right rude ie. using the F word etc. Its not like your trying to get into Area 51's files or something .
Try a print screen and save it, I can tell your not from the old DOS world.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals
Try a print screen and save it, I can tell your not from the old DOS world.
Or simply hit the frigging "Report Bad Post" button.

― Socrates
― Plato