67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to 1965GTOTempest Send a message via AIM to 1965GTOTempest
Default Door panel replacement

My new door panels arrived and I need some guidance on removing the old ones and putting in the new ones. I did buy the tool to pull the window cranks to replace them but can someone guide me through removing the old panels and putting on the shiny new ones?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You have '67 so the door panels don't go over the top of the door. So no need to take off lock knob.

Remove the door pull handle by removing the 3 phillips head screws, oops I am assuming standard, not deluxe interior. Gently take the c-clip off of the window cranks and door handle. Remove the phillips head screws on the bottom of the door panel. Did you get the wide, flat door clip remover? If not, gently pop off the door clips that hold the door panel at the front and back. And off it comes!

Be very careful cutting the holes for the window cranks for the new ones and take your time.

Installation is the reverse procedure.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to 1965GTOTempest Send a message via AIM to 1965GTOTempest

Deluxe interior -- the only tool I bought was to remove the window cranks ...

Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Chief

1. Remove window cranks with newly purchased tool.
2. Remove four screws at bottom edge (carpeted area) of door panel.
3. Remove two large screws just below ridge line.
4. Remove door handle. This is probably the work part. A ratcheting wrench (IIRC, its a 1/4" or 5/16" head) or 1/4" drive socket with swivel work best. I usually lift on the handle during removal and installation for more clearance.
5. Remove two screws from tray under door handle.
6. Gently pull out/pry if necessary on the bottom of the panel. There are clips attached to the panel that embed into the door.
7. Once all clips are out of door, pull panel away enough to clear window regulator and slide down.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Senior Chief

If the new panels don't have the center moulding, you need to remove your old ones very carefully. The mouldings have brads (nails) that go through the panel and bend over to secure them to the panel. Straighten all of the brads and gently pull the moulding out. The bend in the moulding will cause it to bind as you remove it, just take your time. Putting the moulding on the new panel is also kind of tricky because of the bend and the fact that the new panels are probably plastic-backed. I straightened the moulding out slightly and started from the back, pushing the brads into the vinyl to mark it, then drilled through the plastic with a bit the size of the brad. One last thing. I would hold the panel into place BEFORE I cut the hole for the window crank, as the precut circle may not line up perfectly. I used a razor blade to cut an X so I could barely get the regulator through the panel, then made it larger after the panel was securely in place. Take your time and good luck.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks! I did order new moulding and was charged for it, but I don't see it in the box nor is it attached to the doors (and at this price, it should have come bronzed)

Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ugh, I just reread this -- cut the hole for the crank? Don't they come with the holes already cut out? Oy vey

Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what would the guy with power windows do?

Old 09-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965GTOTempest
Ugh, I just reread this -- cut the hole for the crank? Don't they come with the holes already cut out? Oy vey
The plastic backing is pre-cut for manual windows, just not the panel covering. The material is not hard to cut. I was just warning you not to cut the panel covering exactly the same size as the pre-cut hole in the backing before you look at the alignment. The regulator may not align dead center with the pre-cut hole.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As I put them in my car to take them over and have them done, I realized I have a remote door window -- so that will have to be drilled, right?

Ick.

Also, on the top moulding, mine is about an inch wide ... I expected it to be about 1/2 inch wide. Does it go in without tacks on the back and slides in?

Old 06-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What is the quality of the complete door and rear panels? The look factory?