67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to 1965GTOTempest Send a message via AIM to 1965GTOTempest
Default Shake, rattle and shake -- timing?

When my car went in today for new hinges and hood springs (pics later in the week), I asked my mechanic to lower the timing a bit as she was dieseling a little. He had set it at 12 but lowered it to 10 for me.

ICK.

As soon as I drove off I knew I was fu**ed and wasn't going to enjoy it. She has that bad hesitation you get when timing is retarded.

But I also noticed was she's shaking like Kate Hepburn when I'm at a stop light, and the muffler "sounds" louder to me ... she's rumbling more. I figure that's because the idle is up a little (850) so I need to have that lowered a bit (or I'll get shin splints trying to keep the brake down).

But the shimmy shake -- is it because of timing? It didn't even do this when timing was retarded at 4!