Old 03-07-2017, 04:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer View Post

Now how did Deigo [sic] get Franz's number?
Why don't you ask Franz?

Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

I hope everyone and an nice Passover Seder and Easter Sunday.

Seriously, Deigo? Is this a test? LOL...Franz still doesn't know. But he does get several emails from you and I understand from your publisher. Franz did tell me you are now interested in his Corvettes. Did I pass the test?

Deigo I really I can't believe you actually quested if he knows George Delorean...LOL Franz sees George almost every weekend at the Woodward Garage along with "Win" Brown, from the original Ace Wilson's Royal racing team in 1959. Don Morton from Hurst Corp and many more guys you may have read about in magazines from the 50's and 60's. There are many others from the original 1950's "High End" that began on racing James Couzens, it became the John C. Lodge Freeway. The service drive remained James Couzens. Then moving with the population and freeway expansion to the bub's High End Club moved out along Northwestern Hwy on out to I-696. Lodge becomes Northwestern Hwy then I-696 splits off of it to head to Lansing.

I believe I posted a few pictures of some these guys early in this thread celebrating the late Joe Riggerilleo's 80th Birthday gathering we had on a Thursday night. Best known in magazines for his Rousch Gapp built silver Mustang II.

The Thursday night gatherings no longer happen. Mostly due to these guys have night vision problems. REALLY. So now those able, gather at the Woodward Garage.

While Franz dealt with George in the early 60's I didn't deal with George Delorean until I had to in 1969. George bought the Ace Wilson Royal Racing Team and it's inventory in April 1969. Sam Frontier, Ace Wilson's parts mgr had me go to George for any HiPo stuff.

News flash too Diego. I had worked out with the late John Z at Franklin Racquet Club on occasions.

Heck maybe you even heard of Gil Kohn. Before his illness got to him these last few years he'd be there too. In case you never heard of Gil Kohn he used the family money to start Detroit Dragway which opened in 1959. Gil went onto either own or manage over a dozen of the nations drag strips.

Me going to the Woodward Garage would be like being with my father and his friends. Average age is about 85+.

Now on a more important update. At breakfast Saturday, before Franz went onto the Woodward Garage to, he told me there is an up coming board meeting at Mercedes. He hopes to have word about Paul Goldsmiths '63 Tempest in a few weeks.

I'll let you know as soon as Franz tells me...

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 04-17-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 AM

WOODWARD WAREHOUSE

Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 PM

Default Check out this pic!

Hi Doc, first let me say I've re-read this entire thread a couple times over the years and enjoy it tremendously! Great history and anecdotes, thanks to you and Andy for getting the ball rolling! So today I'm looking over a friend's pics from the drags, mostly Maple Grove and I see this pic and say 'holy sh!tballs!' I saw the Stan Long Pontiac and put the pic under an optical comparator in the shop to confirm Tony K's name on the roof!! Figured you and the gang on this thread would appreciate seeing this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	452516  

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow, That is a GREAT and still very clear picture. Jan 1968. It looks like that may be Tony standing in front of the Firebird with his hand on the hood.

This is before Tony had Gratiot Auto Supply on the doors and Doug's (?) Headers decal on the fender.

Now if I could only figure out how to copy the picture. Then I'd send to his bothers, John Politzer and a few others.

Ya, I figure it out

Thanks again for the post!

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 04-20-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I forward the picture of Maple Groove onto both Mike and Pat Kneiper. They do not recognize anyone in the photo. They both said that it is NOT Tony in front of his Firebird.

Mike just thought it might be one of Tony's friends, but not sure who. Mike was severing his country until October '67. It is when Mike returned from duty that he ordered the black '68 Firebird. This jives with the Black Bird's build sheet of November 1967.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Paul Goldsmith 1963 Tempest SD update. I had breakfast with Franz on Saturday (06/03/2017) and he told me his contact at Mercedes has looked over the past scraping of products. He did not find the '63 Tempest on the list. So the search for the car is still on. It is believed still be some where at Mercedes.

Franz told me that Diego Rosenberg calls him approximately every 2 weeks for an update. I guess he wants a "scoop" on the news. Our Saturday morning group thinks it's pretty funny.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just noticed this and a few other recent posts.

I'm unsure why my name is childishly being dragged through the mud with lies. Care to explain?

Old 06-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego View Post
Just noticed this and a few other recent posts.

I'm unsure why my name is childishly being dragged through the mud with lies. Care to explain?
Well, Diego, you told me to ask Franz about you and I have. I guess you need to clear it up with Franz.

Have a nice day.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well, Diego, you told me to ask Franz about you and I have. I guess you need to clear it up with Franz.
You're the one posting nonsense, not Franz.

As a reminder:

Quote:
Franz also told me he received two phone calls from authors, Don Keefe and Diego Rosenberg, asking about the Paul Goldsmith Tempest. He was shocked that his unlisted number had gotten out. (Thanks to Jim Mattison)
It's not really of your concern how or why I was in touch with Franz, and it's not the way you've described.

Quote:
Now how did Deigo get Franz's number?
Ditto..

Quote:
Seriously, Deigo? Is this a test? LOL...Franz still doesn't know. But he does get several emails from you and I understand from your publisher. Franz did tell me you are now interested in his Corvettes. Did I pass the test?
All this is totally bizarre, especially considering my only contact with you was two years ago in a discussion about Royal Bobcat rights.

Quote:
Deigo I really I can't believe you actually quested if he knows George Delorean...LOL Franz sees George almost every weekend at the Woodward Garage along with "Win" Brown, from the original Ace Wilson's Royal racing team in 1959.....News flash too Diego. I had worked out with the late John Z at Franklin Racquet Club on occasions.
Nope, don't think I had a conversation like that either.

Though pretty cool you were ball boy for DeL.

Quote:
Franz told me that Diego Rosenberg calls him approximately every 2 weeks for an update. I guess he wants a "scoop" on the news. Our Saturday morning group thinks it's pretty funny.
Again, this is your concern how?

I last spoke with Franz maybe 2 months ago? That was the second (maybe the third) and last time I spoke with him. Very nice guy, and absolutely gracious every time!

But I'm not understanding why you're talking so much about others, and gotta wonder how true it all is. It's possible it's all innocent.

So, yeah, all this is kinda weird.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Deigo isn't time for you to move on? I can only relate what Franz tells me and when.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Move on from what?

Like I said, all this is kinda weird. Should I feel the glory for having been name-dropped with some Detroit legends? Because if that has been your intention, I must apologize and thank you.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Refresh > RA IV 455 Blackbird Rules
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-1968FirebirdRAIV455-JW.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	514117  

Old 06-15-2019, 12:27 AM

Blackbird was on eBay a couple weeks ago. Not sure if it sold.

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 06-27-2019, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tininjun68 View Post
Blackbird was on eBay a couple weeks ago. Not sure if it sold.
For Classic Pontiac V8 Power - doesn't get much better for the Street than this - Beating the Fastest Hemi 7 Times etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1RAIV455Blackbird.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	514941  

Old 07-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just signed on and saw the last couple of posts and I had to chuckle. Yes, the Black Bird is still for sale with some of it historic parts. It has become garage art and needs to go to some one who will appreciate it's history.
Wareagle mentioned "Beating the Fastest Hemi 7 Times etc." I had wanted to only mention the last race when the car was under Frankie's ownership. Mostly to save arguments. Along with a couple of articles that have surfaced with comments by the late Tom Hoover about why he retired his '66 Coronet. {Tom said something to the fact he retired his car to concentrate on Addison's car to beat a Firebird.}
I read Wareagles' post to John Politzer, "Beating the Fastest Hemi 7 Times etc". John laughed and said "more like beating Addison 10 times".
"Fast Freddie" Forman is always getting in anyone face when he hears that Addison was never beat. Then he says, how about all the times that Jim Wangers' Black Bird beat Addison. Fred came after John Politzer and Frankie and drove some of Jim Wangers' street cars, including the red Monza on the streets with it's heavy NOS.
I was hoping that someone beside myself would pipe up about the Black Birds accomplishments. I do not honestly know how many times any one was beat. But everyone was always improving their cars. Many moved onto all new cars or just moved on with life.
Thank you for the opportunity to post. Take care

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 07-16-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Just signed on and saw the last couple of posts and I had to chuckle. Yes, the Black Bird is still for sale with some of it historic parts. It has become garage art and needs to go to some one who will appreciate it's history.
Wareagle mentioned "Beating the Fastest Hemi 7 Times etc." I had wanted to only mention the last race when the car was under Frankie's ownership. Mostly to save arguments. Along with a couple of articles that have surfaced with comments by the late Tom Hoover about why he retired his '66 Coronet. {Tom said something to the fact he retired his car to concentrate on Addison's car to beat a Firebird.}
I read Wareagles' post to John Politzer, "Beating the Fastest Hemi 7 Times etc". John laughed and said "more like beating Addison 10 times".
"Fast Freddie" Forman is always getting in anyone face when he hears that Addison was never beat. Then he says, how about all the times that Jim Wangers' Black Bird beat Addison. Fred came after John Politzer and Frankie and drove some of Jim Wangers' street cars, including the red Monza on the streets with it's heavy NOS.
I was hoping that someone beside myself would pipe up about the Black Birds accomplishments. I do not honestly know how many times any one was beat. But everyone was always improving their cars. Many moved onto all new cars or just moved on with life.
Thank you for the opportunity to post. Take care
10 Times > That's even Cooler Eric - Here's a cool pic of Rick Mahoney's 9.9 Sec. F.A.S.T. Stock Racing 68 Firebird RA II 510 ci. > Keeping that Pontiac Spirit Alive
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1RA11510ci9.9.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	515889  

Old 07-16-2019, 04:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice picture of the Sprint. I love it 9.9's! I still can't get John Politzer, "Cheater" "Mystery Tiger", to admit the best E.T. of the Black Bird. John likes screwing with me. Like signing the Sept. issue of Brock Yates article "Street Racing" in Car And Driver in front of me for friends. While refusing to sign the Black Bird until I sell it.

I have over heard John tell a few people high 9's for the Black Bird while admitting nothing with me just to keep me in the dark. Jim Wangers always told his drivers to never show the other guy how much you have, just beat him by enough to convince him he lost.

Still to this day if anyone asks John about the old days he denies even being there! LOL.

I noticed another white '68 Firebird with the round port RA II was for sale on Ebay for around $250,000.00 when I had the Black Bird posted. Wonder if he sold.

I added a resume of the Black Bird. The local Detroit TV channel has photographed the Firebird the last two years while it was parked in Birmingham during the Woodward Dream Cruise.

Forgot to mention that last year while I was at the Woodward Warehouse I had George DeLorean and Win Brown both sign the sun visors of the Firebird and my GTO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1A BlackBird Resume.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	515893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample 2 of Black bird mag & book articles, diecast, posters,.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	515894   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Complete Book of Muscle Supercars Tom Glatch 2016.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	515895   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Complete Book of Muscle Supercars, Tom Glatch 2016 pg 19.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	515896   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Complete Book of Muscle Supercars, Tom Glatch 2016 pg18.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	515897  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 07-16-2019 at 05:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The white r/a ll car you saw on eBay is the first one built.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Nice picture of the Sprint. I love it 9.9's! I still can't get John Politzer, "Cheater" "Mystery Tiger", to admit the best E.T. of the Black Bird. John likes screwing with me. Like signing the Sept. issue of Brock Yates article "Street Racing" in Car And Driver in front of me for friends. While refusing to sign the Black Bird until I sell it.

I have over heard John tell a few people high 9's for the Black Bird while admitting nothing with me just to keep me in the dark. Jim Wangers always told his drivers to never show the other guy how much you have, just beat him by enough to convince him he lost.

Still to this day if anyone asks John about the old days he denies even being there! LOL.

I noticed another white '68 Firebird with the round port RA II was for sale on Ebay for around $250,000.00 when I had the Black Bird posted. Wonder if he sold.

I added a resume of the Black Bird. The local Detroit TV channel has photographed the Firebird the last two years while it was parked in Birmingham during the Woodward Dream Cruise.

Forgot to mention that last year while I was at the Woodward Warehouse I had George DeLorean and Win Brown both sign the sun visors of the Firebird and my GTO.
More cool stuff Eric - Great - Thanks . Here's one - SD-455 Radical Redskin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1SD529340_536919546328578_887827648_n.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	516294