Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 11-29-2020, 02:17 PM

Default Ignition Switch can't remove key

I have a 70 GTO with a tilt steering column. Ignition key has always been a little sticky to get out when in the off position. It hasn't from the beginning to turn to accessories position. Now after driving it the other day the ignition key will not come out.. I have jiggled it every which way to no avail. I can turn it to start the car and it runs. I can turn the key to the off position and it kills the engine. I have not taken the steering wheel off in an attempt to get at the guts of the ignition switch. Frankly I suspect something has broken or jammed in the interior switch. Any idea as to what to do next would be appreciated. Michael Jewell

Old 11-29-2020, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back drive linkage out of adjustment?

Try twisting the collar on the column (next to dash) counter clock wise with your hands.

Clay

Old 11-29-2020, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Grab the col, Turn it to lock position by hand. I’ve seen this before in a buddys car. It’s out of adjustment.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 11-29-2020, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, if you reach inside by the firewall and pull up on the lockout tang the rod runs to, that should tell you if you're out of adjustment. Easy fix if so.