Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 12-03-2020, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the yellow 3m contact cement that I can never remember the product number for. That is really some good glue. I glued the rubber sole back on my 'yardwork' boots the other day and was shocked that it stuck like stink.
As I recall, with Legendary you could get any of the panels with or without the metal top part when I got mine. I may be wrong about that and may be confusing the fact that you could get the panels with or without the stainless trim 'decoration'... That part I'm sure of.
I just got the plain upholstered cards and transferred my metal uppers and all of my trim from the originals to my replacements.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to have a tube of that yellow 3m stuff, yes it does stick great .... I tend to end up looking like an old cartoon when I use stuff that sticks good I'll look for some of it.

I was dissecting one of the panels last night, more rust than I would like to see on the metal portion. On the front upper corner, most visible area, small bit of the metal is actually rusted away under the vinyl. OSPHO'ed the metal .... will check the results tonight.

And yes there is a thin layer of pinkish foam between the metal/cardboard and the vinyl, like 3/16" thick, which seems to give it some of it's 3D look. It sticks to the metal when you remove the vinyl.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just ordered some of the 3M yellow stuff ... product number is 08001. Mentions headliners, weather stripping, vinyl etc.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Based on the recommendation of a fellow member (and since the 3M stuff was a little challenging to get quickly), I picked up a little bottle of DAP Weldwood from Home Depot. Cheap and it works perfectly. Easy to apply with the included brush on those hard to get areas.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of the acrylic construction adhesives ( like Weldwood probably is) are amazingly strong. I've used them for various projects, they often meet or exceed requirements for mechanical connections these days.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Used some of the yellow 3M stuff tonight, works great.
Thanks folks