Old 12-24-2020, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default caliper rebuild

First off Merry X-Mas..........did a search, didnt find any info, but was thinking since im replacing my brakes, thought i would rebuild my calipers, single piston..........found the seals parts stuff, but couldnt find any info on what piston to buy, any body have a part # on the 69-72 caipers.

Any one do this, or is it just easier to get new calipers.

Rich

Old 12-24-2020, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why do you want to rebuild them? Are they leaking? If you take them apart and the pistons aren't damaged all you need to do is give them a good cleaning and reassemble with new seals. If you really want to replace them Rock auto has them and they're inexpensive.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
Why do you want to rebuild them? Are they leaking? If you take them apart and the pistons aren't damaged all you need to do is give them a good cleaning and reassemble with new seals. If you really want to replace them Rock auto has them and they're inexpensive.
Thanks for the reply gtospieg, they are not leaking, they have been on the car for 20 some yrs now, thought since im replacing the rotors i would look into these calipers. Never took one apart thought it might be fun learning something new. Just getting confused on what piston to order.

Rich

Old 12-24-2020, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't think you would need the pistons. Along time ago I used to rebuild calipers before they got stupid cheap. Should be able to clean them up and reuse if they aren't pitted.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I rebuilt the calipers from my 70 El Camino only because they were the originals. One piston had some corrosion and pitting so it was replaced with a nice one I found on Ebay. The only difficult part was pressing the seal back onto the caliper. I ended up buying the Kent Moore tool to do that. If you decide you want to rebuild your own, let me know and I'll send it your way.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 12-26-2020, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$22 for a caliper, and 11 for a piston and 2 for a kit at rock auto. Tricky part on doing the caller is getting the boot in.
Can be put in before and the use air in the banjo fitting to blow the boot up and over the piston, Lots of rubber lube ( Brake assembly lube).

Old 12-26-2020, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, thanks guys, and OG68 if i go this route, i"ll drop you a line.

Ricb