Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 01-05-2021, 08:08 PM

I would suggest taking some good pictures of the inside of the problem areas before returning them just for a record of the craftsmanship. My hands were sore by the time I got the covers were pulled over. It was so tight I was afraid I wouldn't get it but I did. No problems with the seams.
Be calm but firm and confident.
Very Frustrating for sure.
Bob C.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFCOLEMAN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
jimi ... check for that tag on your covers and see who made them. Maybe we can spot a trend.
Here's the tag which includes Date, Job Order, and Inspector. If we can find a trend; great. I hope that anyone who has had issues with their Legendary products to reply to this thread and make their issues as public as possible. This might motivate Legendary to do a better job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LegendaryLable.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	557660  

Old 01-06-2021, 02:29 PM

This really sucks Jim.

I've had covers split\pull apart on me before, for things that were my fault, and things that were the makers fault... so its hard to say for sure on these.

I can say that in 10 years of doing them I have never had one of these come apart at the rear sides like that.
On the FRONT seam its not unusual to see it stressed when stretching, but once its in place (I try to do it quickly and not leave it in the stressed state long) it tends to shrink back...

Take some photos of the inside of the cover where the sides split... show us what the stiching around that split looks like.

When covers are assembled they sew the top of the bolster vinyl to the welting strip, then they run another stich through the side "boxing" vinyl to attach them together.

That is a lot of stiches on the same line- and if they step ontop of each other it can put too many holes in the spot and it can weaken the vinyl... I've had some LMC truck covers come in spots because of that- but it was very obvious due to the stiches running over each other even before I tried to install it, so I'm curious what these look like in that spot.

I can say that when you are working a cover- you have to remember to work the whole panel and not just one part... If you pull to hard in one spot it can/will rip, especially if its a small peice of vinyl on its own.

For example those side panels where it started coming apart are only 2" wide, not much material to stretch before it gets to the ripping point.... but if you look on the top of the seat there are large ripples/waves in the cover there next to where the listing is anchored... All of that can be PUSHED outward to the side of the seat, putting less pressure on that tiny piece you are pulling on.
Additionally, you will can to compress the springs as well if needed- especially for the front flap area on the buckets. you HAVE to press down hard on the frame to compress those springs before pulling that flap into position to hogring... The sides are the same way. Don't be afraid to manhandle it by compressing the bun & the springs in order to get the vinyl on.

The vinyl in any single spot is weak...especially where the stiches are because of the holes the needle puts in the vinyl.
..But the vinyl as a PANEL is strong- so if any single spot you are pulling is getting stretched to its limit, you need to stop and spread the load by pushing more vinyl for the rest of the panel.
This is also how the ripples / waves get worked out of the cover- by pushing them outward toward the edges of the cushion.

On large cushions like back seats and bench seats, or anywhere there is a large flap I do this by using a bunch of zip ties... you don't just pull one spot all the way to hogring it because you risk ripping stuff at the tightest spot (at least if you stuff them the way i do) so i use the zip ties across the panel, and gradually tighten them.... then flip the cushion over push/work the vinyl the direction it needs to go across the whole cushion, then tighten them some more.

anyway, sorry for the long winded brain dump reply... hopefully some of this makes sense.

Last edited by rambow; 01-06-2021 at 02:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rambow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2021, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for replying Ben. I won't know for a week what Legendary is going to do regarding my seat covers, but I expect it will be nothing. So I am planning now what my other options are. For starters, I just can't bring myself to buy another Legendary product, so that leaves me with PUI but I could have the same problems. When my defective covers are sent back to me, perhaps a local upholstery shop can re-enforce the stitching.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At their prices, yeah that's hard to swallow. I would suggest perhaps Legendary would give you a discount on the repair of your covers ... but my experience with making repairs to heavy canvas and the like ... very time consuming to deconstruct a sewn product and repair it.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
At their prices, yeah that's hard to swallow. I would suggest perhaps Legendary would give you a discount on the repair of your covers ... but my experience with making repairs to heavy canvas and the like ... very time consuming to deconstruct a sewn product and repair it.
In post #1 of this thread, I posted 5 pictures.
If Legendary would make the repair on these covers, I will continue to buy their products to complete my ground-up restoration of my 67 GTO. I still need the cover vinyl for the rear seat, the door panels, armrest pads, and carpet. If Legendary does not work with me, I have to go PUI all the way.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's been almost 3 weeks.
Any updates?

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 01-26-2021, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
It's been almost 3 weeks.
Any updates?
Yes.

Ron, who I spoke about above, his mom passed away, so my seat covers sat in a box at Legendary for a week. I guess no one takes over for him while on bereavement. That's OK, God bless him and his family.

Good news, Legendary will be replacing the "skirts" as Ron told me. Ron also asked me the date I purchased these seat covers. I didn't ask him why this was significant, but his question makes a statement. I asked for an ETA for the seat covers to come back to me. Ron told me everything they have to do but no ETA. I didn't press him on it. I guess it's difficult to say when I will see them again.

Meanwhile; I want to start my rear seat project. I was seriously considering PUI, but I think I will stay with Legendary and hope for the best. I'll place an order tomorrow.

When my repaired seat covers arrive, I'll mention it here. I do have a wee bit of anxiety about installing them on my own; however, they could still tear at the stitching again if a pro did this work. I followed the Legendary videos rather closely. Until then.........................

Old 01-26-2021, 01:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimib View Post
Yes.

Ron, who I spoke about above, his mom passed away, so my seat covers sat in a box at Legendary for a week. I guess no one takes over for him while on bereavement. That's OK, God bless him and his family.

Good news, Legendary will be replacing the "skirts" as Ron told me. Ron also asked me the date I purchased these seat covers. I didn't ask him why this was significant, but his question makes a statement. I asked for an ETA for the seat covers to come back to me. Ron told me everything they have to do but no ETA. I didn't press him on it. I guess it's difficult to say when I will see them again.

Meanwhile; I want to start my rear seat project. I was seriously considering PUI, but I think I will stay with Legendary and hope for the best. I'll place an order tomorrow.

When my repaired seat covers arrive, I'll mention it here. I do have a wee bit of anxiety about installing them on my own; however, they could still tear at the stitching again if a pro did this work. I followed the Legendary videos rather closely. Until then.........................
Thanks for the update. I'm going to have the seats done for my '69 at a local interior shop and I'm dropping them off in a couple weeks. I'm wanting them to use Legendary.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 01-27-2021, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Roger1,

Do you have an estimate yet from the interior shop?

Old 01-27-2021, 12:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Roger1,

Do you have an estimate yet from the interior shop?
I don't get estimates from them. I've been using the same guy for years and he has always been super fair with me on prices. The owner is really retired but kept his shop (which is huge) for his own stuff, but still does work for some old customers he has enjoyed working with. I'm lucky to be one of them. He is unbelievably good. I would trust him to do a perfect job even more than I would if I shipped my seats to Legendary. Since he retired, it's just him, his wife and his daughter that work there.

I'm going to take my Legendary catalog to him and find out whether he wants to deal with them himself or whether he wants me to order all the supplies.

He has agreed to install my convertible top too. He's getting up there in years so I hope he stays healthy enough to do it when that time comes.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had issues with the 442 interior stuff from Legendary, I will never go back now. I had some spotty issues a long time ago with the comfortweave stuff I got for the LeMans (71), they were going to replace it, but there was a backlog, so went with PUI. I forget if Legendary made good on that or not. The PUI comfortweave was correct tho.

I bought complete seats for the Judge project from PUI, Legendary said (over phone) their' comfortweave was 'not correct', so made the choice even easier. I like the comfortweave, and did the '71 interior in it.

I got the preassembled complete seats from PUI, and, the comfortweave is just imprinted into the material, not real comfortweave, was disappointed. To add to the disappointment, they 'overstuffed' the seats, they have no shape to them, and are about 3" too tall of a seating position. Or more. That's upward AND forward (seat back). Not to mention they don't hold you in place, it's like sitting on a beach ball. I'm going to have to have the foam cut, not too happy. Would like to find better covers too, more close or as close to original comfortweave. Open for suggestions.

Getting ready to switch to a black interior in the 71 T/A, and starting to dread having to do the homework on finding the best source. There too, open for suggestions. I use deluxe 78-81 stuff, I prefer the design, the plastic door pieces on the earlier models feel 'cheap' to me, and they consume valuable interior space.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-11-2021, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As an added note, if you replace the foam, the density of the new foam is much more ridged, and since they use old patterns for replacement foam, generic patterns at that, the foam is much bigger, not only adding to the 'overstuffed' condition, but also stretches the covers more. That too can cause seam failures.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
The Following User Says Thank You to HWYSTR455 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 12:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My replacement seat covers arrived today; they look good, I just hope I don't run into the same problems again.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
My replacement seat covers arrived today; they look good, I just hope I don't run into the same problems again.
Hey Jim, At what point did it start ripping/separating before?
Was it when you were pulling the front corners down/right side out
or was it when you were trying to hogring the side sleeve to the tabs on the underside of the sides?

Do you have the ability to a video call? (I can send you a link to join if you don't)
I could probably help you along with it live if you want.

I have a 68 Firebird seat here that I'm getting ready to do lower covers on- its not exactly the same as what you are doing, but the process is the same and I can probably show what needs to be shown while watching how you are doing it.

msg me and let me know.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:52 PM

Default seat covers.

Take the new ones to a professional and have them do it to not have another problem.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

WOW, this seat cover slips on nicely, like a perfect fitting glove and I have only semi-secured the material beneath the cover. There was really only minimal pulling to put this vinyl cover on. I can put more cotton and/or burlap beneath.
I will go back of course and secure and/or add more material beneath the covers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SeatCoverReplacement.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	561011   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatCoverReplacement1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	561012   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatCoverReplacement2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	561013  

Old 02-17-2021, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting...no inspection?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 02-28-2021, 01:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I now have the driver and passenger side seat bottoms complete. Today, I'll start the seat backs. It will probably be a 2-week project being that I work 60 hours per week. I welcome comments and constructive criticism. This is how we learn and do a better job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SeatsFront.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	561740   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatsFront1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	561741   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatsFront2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	561742   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeatsFront3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	561743  

Old 02-28-2021, 01:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I now have the driver and passenger side seat bottoms complete. Today, I'll start the seat backs. It will probably be a 2-week project being that I work 60 hours per week. I welcome comments and constructive criticism. This is how we learn and do a better job.
I don't know if it is your seat foam or what is going on, but the shape of those seat bottoms is not correct. Not trying to criticize...but my seats are still original and look a lot different.