Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 11-10-2020, 06:40 PM

Default 65 GTO console install

Another interior question: My GTO is originally console but currently no console, just rectangular floor boot and trim plate.

I have bought the front floor mount bracket, all console parts, and the console wiring harness is on the way along with a console shifter (currently has bench shifter). I assume the sequence of steps I need to perform are:

1) pull front seats/all carpet and existing shifter knob/trimplate/boot
2) swap shifter from bench to console unit
3) position the front mount bracket on floorpan
4) confirm proper console positioning while running shifter through all gears (no contact) and mark locations for screwholes (marker/punch front and "perimeter" screw locations in floorpan)
5) screw front mount bracket into floorpan
6) re-install carpet
7) position and screw in console to front bracket and into punched floorpan holes (careful to not snag/spin carpet around screws), insuring console wiring is routed clear of shifter and comes out front
8) connect console wiring harness to dash harness (there is an "dash to console extension harness" in Ames catalog part number M30185, do I need that also and if so, where do I connect?)
9) Enjoy?

What steps/tricks did I miss? Thanks!

Old 11-10-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds about right to me.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 12-05-2020, 03:54 PM

Thanks! Anybody know how the wiring should be run? the 65 Fisher shop manual electrical section doesn't seem to show any wiring for the console, which only has the compartment light/switch and the console courtesy light.

I bought a M30185 "console extension harness" for manual transmission from Ames, but it's still not clear.

Is there somewhere it is shown on the "circuit diagram" for 65's? Thanks!

Old 01-23-2021, 02:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quick follow-up: after buying the various harnesses I ended up basically building my own wiring harnesses from the parts, so I now have the proper compartment light and rear seat courtesy light connected and working. I never could figure out how the "correct" harnesses would actually work all together, and got tripped up by the courtesy light being hot and turning on when provided ground from the door switches so I had to separate the ground wires that I had merged for the two lights.

Installed an original base (to maintain original flocking look/feel) and bought the reproduction metal top kit and all the assorted hardware pieces to put it all together, which was a lot. Expensive project in the end but SO worth it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Console2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	559231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Console1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	559232