Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 11-17-2020, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dunlop SP sport GT

Anybody have experience with these? Looks like a decent 14" and 15" tire alternative. Not finding a lot of info out there about them...

Old 11-18-2020, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I've had SP sports in 18" fitments in the past. I recall them being decent, but they wore fairly quickly.

I don't know how much of a direct comparison it would be to the tires you're looking at however. I believe at the time the tires I had were called the SP Sport 8000.

Old 11-18-2020, 02:57 PM
Senior Chief

I had some sport maxx tires in a 17 inch size on my Alfa Romeo, really good grippy tire. I liked them and based on that I would be willing to try some more dunlops..

Old 11-18-2020, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran 15" Dunlop GT's from 2004 through 2010, They are ok. Nothing special, just a normal tire.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had SP8000's on my off topic car some years ago. They were great high performance tires, but got pretty slippery in colder weather. I don't know if that translates to the SP Sort GT.

The Tire Rack website usually has some customer reviews for tires, you could check there to see what people have said.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 02:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I had SP8000's on my off topic car some years ago. They were great high performance tires, but got pretty slippery in colder weather. I don't know if that translates to the SP Sort GT.

The Tire Rack website usually has some customer reviews for tires, you could check there to see what people have said.
Tire rack doesn't carry that specific model. I can't tell if this is a brand new model or what - but it's definitely different than their old gt qualifiers. It looks like a high perf dual pattern tread in up to 295/50r15 sizes. I don't know if it's comparable to the 5 other sp sport models they have... sounds like nobody has tried them yet maybe I'll give them a shot.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
Anybody have experience with these? Looks like a decent 14" and 15" tire alternative. Not finding a lot of info out there about them...
where are you finding these tires for sale? i didnt find many results on a quick search at any of the bigger places like discount or summit etc.

what i did notice is that they are only an S speed rating, many other modern brands are T rated like mickey thompson radial ST. not sure if that is a concern for you but they dont look to be as good of a tire as some other options... but the tread pattern does look cool.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:28 AM

I have the Dunlop Sport Classic in 205/70R14 mounted on the Olds SSII wheels for my Omega - but not driven so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSII_Dunlop_Sport_Classic_1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	554299  

follow my project on instagram
Old 11-19-2020, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
where are you finding these tires for sale? i didnt find many results on a quick search at any of the bigger places like discount or summit etc.

what i did notice is that they are only an S speed rating, many other modern brands are T rated like mickey thompson radial ST. not sure if that is a concern for you but they dont look to be as good of a tire as some other options... but the tread pattern does look cool.
I few places have them, and a few sets on ebay. Everything seems to be 2020 which makes me think they're brand new, but can't find much info yet. They say summer tires, but mostly don't have a treadwear listed, but look to have a fairly aggressive performance tread.

https://www.prioritytire.com/dunlop-...hoCAkwQAvD_BwE

Old 11-19-2020, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I few places have them, and a few sets on ebay. Everything seems to be 2020 which makes me think they're brand new, but can't find much info yet. They say summer tires, but mostly don't have a treadwear listed, but look to have a fairly aggressive performance tread.

https://www.prioritytire.com/dunlop-...hoCAkwQAvD_BwE
yes the tread looks good, but the lower speed rating than other modern white letter 15" tires have might be a concern & the unpublished tread wear#. but unless your doing high speeds that proably doesnt matter.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The SP8000's like JLMounce and I had were Z rated tires. If the SP Sport is only S rated they most likely use a different rubber formulation, so there's probably no direct comparison from our experience.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Tire rack doesn't carry that specific model. I can't tell if this is a brand new model or what - but it's definitely different than their old gt qualifiers. It looks like a high perf dual pattern tread in up to 295/50r15 sizes. I don't know if it's comparable to the 5 other sp sport models they have... sounds like nobody has tried them yet maybe I'll give them a shot.
I'm starting to think that this is a discontinued tire.

I went to Dunlop's website - link: https://www.dunloptires.com/

They show a Dunlop SP Sport 600:

When you click on it, it takes you to the Goodyear website. If you try and find a 295/50/15 size - there are no options:

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/15#

I did a search on for the Dunlop SP Sport GT and did find a link with more info on the tire, but still find it strange that Dunlop's website directs you to Goodyear's website and you can't find anything in that size.

Here is a link to Tireshot: http://www.tireshot.com/tire/Dunlop-...-105T-RWL-tire

Here it shows that it is a T rated tire, with 440 treadwear and A traction and A temperature ratings.

I might suggest stopping by a Goodyear dealer and inquiring about this tire as their website is useless.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with buying a tire without knowing if it's a current production tire or not. If you decide to buy online, I'd want to know the tire date codes before ordering.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

strange there isnt more info on these if they are a current made tire. heres the place i saw that showed S speed rating on the SP sport gt 295/50/15.... & they call is a "truck/suv" tire...

https://www.prioritytire.com/dunlop-...SABEgIv5fD_BwE

Old 11-20-2020, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I'm starting to think that this is a discontinued tire.

I went to Dunlop's website - link: https://www.dunloptires.com/

They show a Dunlop SP Sport 600:

When you click on it, it takes you to the Goodyear website. If you try and find a 295/50/15 size - there are no options:

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/15#

I did a search on for the Dunlop SP Sport GT and did find a link with more info on the tire, but still find it strange that Dunlop's website directs you to Goodyear's website and you can't find anything in that size.

Here is a link to Tireshot: http://www.tireshot.com/tire/Dunlop-...-105T-RWL-tire

Here it shows that it is a T rated tire, with 440 treadwear and A traction and A temperature ratings.

I might suggest stopping by a Goodyear dealer and inquiring about this tire as their website is useless.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with buying a tire without knowing if it's a current production tire or not. If you decide to buy online, I'd want to know the tire date codes before ordering.
The main reason I don't think it's discontinued, or at least not old, is that there is nothing about it prior to 2020. So it may be a new model or a limited run or something. Agree the dunlop site is awful, that's why I asked here.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I might grab a set to see, I can always resell them if I don't like them, but they look better than bfgs or the coker repros, at least performance wise. Will update here with results if I get them.