Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Senior Chief

Default Oil stains on driveway

Looking for recommendations on removing old and heavy motor oil stains from a concrete driveway.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:53 PM
Suspended

I was told Lye works good for stains. Might just be an old trick, and not sure where you would get Lye? More info on the net if you do a search.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dampen the spots and let powder tide sit for a while and agitate with a stiff broom. works for me.deeper staining will take a couple try's.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Saturate with strong degreaser/brake cleaner drop kitty litter on top of the wet spots. Let soak over night. Repeat till goes away

Old 01-03-2021, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Concrete Etcher/Muriatic Acid will brighten concrete quite a bit.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Power washer?

Old 01-03-2021, 07:57 PM
Suspended

If your driveway doesn't look like this and have a few oil spots, you don't own a hot rod.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2887.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	557499  

Old 01-03-2021, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally! A voice of reason

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 01-03-2021, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Years ago I was shown a trick by an old timer, saturate the area with gasoline, scrub it with a broom or brush, and cover it with oil dry. it works, but of course having gasoline spread out on concrete there is an apparent fire hazard.

Phosphoric acid will clean concrete to like new, then just wash it off with a hose diluting it, concrete is clean as a whistle, no fire hazard. Phosphoric is sold at big box stores such as HD especially for cleaning concrete, and can also clean rust off of ferrous parts too, and it's rather inexpensive.

That's what I've used in the past 50 years, so now I'm the old timer telling someone else. Pick your poison.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-03-2021, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've always used kerosene, apply, scrub with a broom. kitty litter and clean driveway.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remove grease and oil spots to almost gone!!!

Buy the cheapest unscented kitty litter. Spread it on the stain then with brick or cinderblock (brick works the best) grind the kitty litter into the stain letting the kitty litter grind to like the size of pumice like a powder. Keep the kitty litter going moving unground litter to the area. As the KL gets real fine it picks up the oil. You'll be surprised.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 01-03-2021, 10:39 PM

Mine is a combination of a few of the above suggestions. Pour some mineral spirits on the stain. Immediately cover completely with floor dry. Let it set overnight, or at least for several hours. Sweep up the floor dry leaving a few bits. Grind the bits into the concrete however you see fit, the bottom of your shoes/work boots works but may need a little more aggression. Sweep up residue, repeat if needed.
The microscopic porosity of your concrete surface finish makes a difference as to how well any of these methods work.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've always kept a small bag of Portland cement handy and sprinkled some on the stains. Heavier stains require doing the mashed potato with your shoes. Surprising how that Portland sucks up old oil and grease. I just leave it there and let the weather take care of it.

10.09 @ 133
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Meyer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2021, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief, that reminds me of a time as a youth, hanging out at my buddies house on a Sat night with his parents gone. His sisters boyfriend was there with his mustang. While they were in the house (playing cards i suppose) we got in the 'stang and my friend let it rip. Left a nice trail down the length of the drive. Fearing of trouble from the parents, we quickly tried to figure out how to get the tire marks off the asphalt. We used gasoline only to make a really good mess!

Old 01-04-2021, 10:30 AM
Suspended

L O L !

Old 01-04-2021, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kind of related: If you own a cat that brings little critters in your garage or basement and disembowels them pour regular kitty litter over the remains and the next day you can just sweep up the mummified remains.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-04-2021, 06:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Kitty litter has worked for me and mitigates the water/chemical runoff into the water table issue.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 01-06-2021, 12:09 PM

I've used straight Lestoil before, let it sit then scrub it with a stiff broom. Worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 01-06-2021, 01:40 PM
Senior Chief

I've always gone the less caustic approach with good results. Squirt on some Fast Orange pumice hand cleaner and scrub in with brush. Let sit, then hose off....

Old 01-06-2021, 02:12 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys, many good suggestions here. I won’t be able to try any of then out for a few weeks. My wife and I bought a manufactured home in a retirement community in Englewood Florida. After she retires in Dec of 2021 we intend to spend some winter months there. We are flying down in a few weeks to see it in person. We had good friends of ours that live close to it, give it a good going over, so there shouldn’t be any surprises.