Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Senior Chief

Until you know how close the piston is to the deck at tdc, you are chasing your tail.

I did everything you are doing, yes a poor designed water pump impeller made it worse. But the cast impeller set up properly didn't fix it either.

Speeding up the water pump helped, but ultimately didn't fix the problem.

Pull a head off and see where you are before you spend more time doing things that only attempt to band aid the real problem.

Rich

68 Firebird 400, #16, xe274, street dominator, 850 DP, hooker headers, t400, 3500 stall, 3.73, 295/65 bfg drag radicals... best 13.27 @ 102.8, 1.90 60ft
Old 02-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i will wait to see what difference the stewart water pump makes before wasting more time on anything else.....

Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Suspended

I think your 13 lbs cap is to light , your car would have come with a 15 lbs cap. 2 lbs will make a big difference in the temp.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I think your 13 lbs cap is to light , your car would have come with a 15 lbs cap. 2 lbs will make a big difference in the temp.
ok i will check with my mechanic on this....

Old 02-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, Rex is right. You need a 15# cap... cut and dried. Any less will cause overheating. Don't ask me how I know as I've been thru that too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 PM

GT182 I thought Cardone was working closely with the Pontiac People at reworking their pumps, I have been following it on another thread , Have they dropped the Ball or is it just stuck in Upper Mgmt ?? I know some of you were having meetings with them or was trying to meet , Is there any light at the end of the tunnel yet

Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtracer58 View Post
GT182 I thought Cardone was working closely with the Pontiac People at reworking their pumps, I have been following it on another thread , Have they dropped the Ball or is it just stuck in Upper Mgmt ?? I know some of you were having meetings with them or was trying to meet , Is there any light at the end of the tunnel yet
I'm still working on finding the part number for the pump with the correct impeller. I've got to call Cardone back this week and see what my contact has found. As you're read in that other thread all the inventory is now in Dallas, TX. He has to call them and get them to find the ones they've already made and are mixed in with the others that are crap. He said it could take some time, but he said to me that it will get done.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

even if cardone rework a pump it will need some serious work in design from what my friend explained to me, no one commented on the stewart pump, i would think that as it pumps 55 gal a minute and stewart says it has shown a 300% increase on flow well if any of that is true then why bother messing around , this fits on the rad hose out of site easy install so i'm hopeing its the fix....anyway i will have it fitted soon so will know then...

Old 02-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta62 View Post
even if cardone rework a pump it will need some serious work in design from what my friend explained to me, no one commented on the stewart pump, i would think that as it pumps 55 gal a minute and stewart says it has shown a 300% increase on flow well if any of that is true then why bother messing around , this fits on the rad hose out of site easy install so i'm hopeing its the fix....anyway i will have it fitted soon so will know then...
Please post photos of it before it's installed if you can. All angles so we can see the impeller and it's profile. We all need to see it, not just hear how good it's supposed to be.

As for Cardone like I've said before..... They have the correct impeller already done and on pumps. It's as correct as the ones Pontiac had made back when they first came out with the 8 bolt pump. All we need now is the correct part number for it so we can order them.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
No, Rex is right. You need a 15# cap... cut and dried. Any less will cause overheating. Don't ask me how I know as I've been thru that too.
I spoke with my friend about going from my 13 psi cap up to 15 psi he explained what the cap psi does in detail and said it will make no difference changing caps...

Old 02-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get him to take photos of the water pump... side view too.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

me taking a pic of pump is not going to tell you much, when its installed and I drive then that's all we need to know, does it fix the issue or not....the pump is pictured on stewarts website ....electric pump model e558a

https://www.stewartcomponents.com/in...&product_id=69

Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 AM
Suspended

2 things if you don't use the 15 lbs pump it will let air in to soon & it will over heat & if your guy says there is no difference je doesn't know what he's talking about. The higher pressure will keep the pressure up & it will have a higher boiling point. That is basic science. Also if you put another pump on your car that pumps water at 55 GPM you will be moving the water so fast it won't have time to cool down in the rad. As it will going through the system to fast.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
2 things if you don't use the 15 lbs pump it will let air in to soon & it will over heat & if your guy says there is no difference je doesn't know what he's talking about. The higher pressure will keep the pressure up & it will have a higher boiling point. That is basic science. Also if you put another pump on your car that pumps water at 55 GPM you will be moving the water so fast it won't have time to cool down in the rad. As it will going through the system to fast.
hi rex that point about not being in rad long enough to cool is a valid point as i have read hear and there, but it also means water will not sit in the engine as long so will not have as much time to heat up...i have read and spoke to various people about this , my thoughts are keep it moving, there is talk about this on the stewart website and bottom line they say move water as fast as possible...

Last edited by fiesta62; 02-10-2014 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

rex just another thought on the cap, as u said it will overheat with just the 13psi compared to the 15 psi....well heres some figures i did.. A 13 lb cap will increase boiling point from 212* to 251* [ 3* increase per psi of cap pressure ]; so a 15 lb cap will raise the BP to 257.....well yes the 15 psi cap will raise the boiling point...BUT with the 13 psi i have a boiling point at 251....my car is never getting anywhere near 251 so changing to 15 psi is pointless it will do nothing....i dont need to raise boiling point any further its already higher than i will ever need...

Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here we go again.......so if slow flow gets rid of heat faster, slowing down to zero flow must be the best.....unless, of course there is some sweet spot, meaning we need to run the engine at this particular sweet spot.........

Gang, this is all bunk, faster water flow, faster air flow will remove heat better....look at the manufacturer's heat transfer curves on ANY heat exchanger.....physics does not change.

George

Old 02-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was asking to see photos of the 8 bolt water pump with a side view of the impeller. Then we could tell if the impeller's contour is your problem.

Have fun with the electric Stewart water pump. I'm not trying to be a wise a**, but IMHO you're just wasting money and adding $s to your mechanics pocketbook. It's your choice. Good luck and I hope it works out ok.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta62 View Post
me taking a pic of pump is not going to tell you much, when its installed and I drive then that's all we need to know, does it fix the issue or not....the pump is pictured on stewarts website ....electric pump model e558a

https://www.stewartcomponents.com/in...&product_id=69

$450 for a water pump?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Here we go again.......so if slow flow gets rid of heat faster, slowing down to zero flow must be the best.....unless, of course there is some sweet spot, meaning we need to run the engine at this particular sweet spot.........

Gang, this is all bunk, faster water flow, faster air flow will remove heat better....look at the manufacturer's heat transfer curves on ANY heat exchanger.....physics does not change.

George
yep so smaller pulley and the electric pump doing 55 gal a minute should help faster is better....

Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
$450 for a water pump?
yes I know is a lot but I really don't care....if it don't fix it I have wasted more money and time....but if car runs at I hope around 180 all day long then that $450 will be quickly forgotten, wouldnt u agree.....