Old 12-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Yeah, that's my old 72 you're refering to on ebay now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121523640696...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Feel free to critique her. I can take it. ;-)

This is the car in my build thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...433662&page=82
How did the car get in bills hands? Only thing I see Steve is the stamp on the gas tank. To perfect.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I emailed the seller asking for the VIN. No response yet.
Any response yet to the VIN request? Kind of puts it in perspective when you can buy a great car for $75K and the window guy in Colorado wants $85K for a car of uncertain provenance. I love the fact AllPro gives you multiple pictures of the suspension, fuel lines and tank, and interior, but 1/2 picture of the engine and no picture of the PHS or a VIN...

Old 12-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55 View Post
How did the car get in bills hands? Only thing I see Steve is the stamp on the gas tank. Too perfect.
That stamp was an exact copy I made to duplicate the factory stamping, which was really bright until I pressure washed the tank. i had to modify the repro stencil to accurately display the date.

I believe he got it in trade for the flamed 73 SD.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
Any response yet to the VIN request? ..
He sent it to me: 228871L108601 on that 1971 car.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, that's my old 72 you're refering to on ebay now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121523640696...;3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the car in my build thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...433662&page=82
I see your old car was sold new in CA. Did you buy it form a person in CA? A buddy of mine(named Steve) had a couple of 72's that needed a resto sitting in his backyard.... He sold them both about 10-12 years ago. Wonder if its the same car??

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 12-21-2014, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, I bought it from TheDude, a member here, who was in PA back in 2004.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
He sent it to me: 228871L108601 on that 1971 car.
when you've been around these cars for a while, you start to see them pop up more than once....

Here is "for sale" post from 2010....

http://www.britishsportscars.com/inv...php?id=5335196

Old 12-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, that's my old 72 you're refering to on ebay now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/121523640696...;3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Other than just the overall excellence of the restoration on this car, there's one thing my eye is drawn to every time I see it...

I'm not sure "critique" is the right word, though, mostly because I'm amazed at the workmanship/eye it took to do it.

The concave character line that runs along the bottom of the door normally "washes out" about half way into the front fender. But somehow your body guy got it to run straight through all the way to the front tire opening in the fender.

It's the character line below the red line I added to the picture, attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72 TA Fender-S.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	385299  

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No, I bought it from TheDude, a member here, who was in PA back in 2004.
Next time I talk to my buddy... I'm gonna ask him where it went...

1 was white and the other was blue.. 1 was a 4speed...and the other was an automatic... Don't remember which one was which

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 12-23-2014, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Other than just the overall excellence of the restoration on this car, there's one thing my eye is drawn to every time I see it...

I'm not sure "critique" is the right word, though, mostly because I'm amazed at the workmanship/eye it took to do it.

The concave character line that runs along the bottom of the door normally "washes out" about half way into the front fender. But somehow your body guy got it to run straight through all the way to the front tire opening in the fender.

It's the character line below the red line I added to the picture, attached.
My original paint 73 SD has the character line running from front to back. I think we are so used to seeing cars that have been restored and the character line massaged over/filled in/ignored, that when we see one that is prominent it seems somewhat out of the ordinary. Also, keep in mind that the angle of the light in that shot is making the lines appears more distinct (the joys of a white car in sunlight).

The body guy spent months on the car's lines...out of the 7 years it was at his shop. GRRRR. Don't get me started again. That was the real reason I sold it. Every time I'd open the garage door and marvel at the car, I would inevitably get angry at how long the car was away from me.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a little surprised by the bents in oil pan and blue oil filter?

Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
My original paint 73 SD has the character line running from front to back. I think we are so used to seeing cars that have been restored and the character line massaged over/filled in/ignored, that when we see one that is prominent it seems somewhat out of the ordinary. Also, keep in mind that the angle of the light in that shot is making the lines appears more distinct (the joys of a white car in sunlight).

The body guy spent months on the car's lines...out of the 7 years it was at his shop. GRRRR. Don't get me started again. That was the real reason I sold it. Every time I'd open the garage door and marvel at the car, I would inevitably get angry at how long the car was away from me.
Yep, those body lines are present front to back on my 70 formula as well.

These subtle lower lines is something that also isn't present when you see reproduction quarter panels and makes it easy to spot a car with panel replacement when looking behind the rear tires.
I agree cars that have been painted several times, even with original panels, it's easy to make those subtle lines fade away.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Yep, those body lines are present front to back on my 70 formula as well.

These subtle lower lines is something that also isn't present when you see reproduction quarter panels and makes it easy to spot a car with panel replacement when looking behind the rear tires.
I agree cars that have been painted several times, even with original panels, it's easy to make those subtle lines fade away.
Good input. I guess I've just seen too many restored cars, or cars with replacement fenders

Do you (or Steve) have a good picture of your Formula that shows how this line looked on an original factory paint fender? Would be a good reference-

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 12-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny you ask. Out of dozens of pics I have of the car I've never taken one that has tried to accent those lower body lines. Went over a bunch of them and this most recent picture I took is probably the closest I have.

If you look at the lower fender just behind the front tire, you can even see where the factory wheel well molding also has an indentation that accents that lower body line. From there you can pick it out. This body line also runs up in front of the tire that is just about parallel to the top of the front valance panel. The shadows are playing tricks and making the front portion more pronounced but it's the same throughout the entire length of the car. Just so happens in this picture the sun is hitting more of the rear portion of the fender. Just hard to see this stuff on these light colored cars if the lighting isn't just perfect.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That kid probably looks like I think I look like when I see my gold Formula (and yours).
Probably thinking:
"OH MY God, what a beautiful Formula."

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Good input. I guess I've just seen too many restored cars, or cars with replacement fenders

Do you (or Steve) have a good picture of your Formula that shows how this line looked on an original factory paint fender? Would be a good reference-
You have to get a day when the sun is at the right angle, especially on a white car. I'll see what I can do.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
I'm a little surprised by the bents in oil pan and blue oil filter?
Lots of things can happen in the three years since I sold her.

Hey, at least the oil filter wasn't orange. ;-P