Industry Stuff new repro's, updates, other info.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default More: The Parts Place

I ordered two of these steel wheels through their eBay account to replace the factory 6-inchers on the rear of my car.
The factory PMD poverty caps won't stay on securely...Anyone else used these? Hard to press on, easy to pop off with a pinky finger. $200 for the wheels, over $50 for shipping.
Can anybody make anything worth a s*** any more?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270748697412

Old 11-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I posted on your other thread. Use the Summit ones. They work great with the NOS poverty caps on my 65.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-17-2016, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, I feel for you, but as so many of us have learned, nearly every PP repro has to be proofed in person. D#mn shame Joes standard of acceptance is so low. Many of us won't buy his junk no matter who is selling it in their catalogue. Not something I'd roll the dice on, even if coming from Summit.

As far as nice clean original 3 nub 14x6 steel wheels, they are out there, many of us have singles, pairs, sets, stacks & stacks of nice clean original wheels. For one of my keeper cars, bought a clean set of steelies last month off a PY'er. Heading out after Thanksgiving to boneyard for few days & ck on a set for Jack P.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I need to make sure I look before I leap from now on.
I see that I can get the Jeg's set even cheaper than the Summits since I won't have to pay tax on them. I will on the ones from Summit. Why I did not find them the first time, I don't know.
By the way Roger, I'm running 15X6 inchers. I just wanted a little more width for the rears with the 7".
Anyway, I don't think I'll have much problem returning them.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FWIW, I purchased steel wheels from Wheel Vintiques (not Pontiac wheels) and the small hubcaps acted as you describe after you pop them on they're slightly loose. Call WV and was told that's the way they are. I found a good solution, wrapped a couple layers of tape around the inside mounting lip of the caps and then the caps went on tightly and were very snug. Would have been nice if they were good to begin with but the tape took care of it, beats arguing and spending MORE money. Keep in mind the ones from other vendors may be the exact same thing from the same supplier.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, you may be right about the fit but another consideration is that the Wheel Vintiques will be around $175 delivered...and The Parts Place wheels cost me over $250 to my door. That's a significant savings.
Thanks for the suggestion though...I'll keep it in mind.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Yeah, you may be right about the fit but another consideration is that the Wheel Vintiques will be around $175 delivered...and The Parts Place wheels cost me over $250 to my door. That's a significant savings.
Thanks for the suggestion though...I'll keep it in mind.
Most all buy from Wheel Vintique. You would have to return wheels to PP and I've heard that's no easy task.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:12 PM
Senior Chief

Was considering buying their hood tach for my 68.

Anyone buy one of these? Good idea? Bad idea?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW64OWNER View Post
You would have to return wheels to PP and I've heard that's no easy task.
I'm beginning to see what you mean. They told me to paint it and it would fit better.

tekheavy, I have bought a thing or two from them before with no problems but the real test of an organization is how they deal with problems...and the jury is still out on that count as far as I'm concerned.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The tape trick works very well, I was very impressed that they held so well and it lasted a long time without an issue. By the way, that time I spoke with WV, I had bought both wheels and caps from them, they blamed the caps for being the culprit. They recommended to tweak (bend) the lip on the cap to make tighter but I tried the tape thing after looking it over and it works. It was loose on the rear 17's only
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	440962  

Old 11-17-2016, 09:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I'm beginning to see what you mean. They told me to paint it and it would fit better.

tekheavy, I have bought a thing or two from them before with no problems but the real test of an organization is how they deal with problems...and the jury is still out on that count as far as I'm concerned.
They won't tell you till its to late, but you paid original shipping, you will pay for return shipping and they have a 25% restocking fee so kiss most of your money good bye, sad to say. Do not any of you buy anything large or heavy from them, [or anything at all]. No matter how bad a part is, they will say it is ok and so you pay both shipping and restocking. I was actually told that the parts back in the day were not made perfect and everyone wants to restore to original so he makes poor products on purpose so expect that when you buy for them.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I hate to hear that. I'm still trying though. I'll go through PayPal, Ebay and my CC to try to get a full refund before I give up on it. I may lose some money shipping and re-stocking but I'm done with these wheels.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 11-18-2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Go ahead and dispute it with paypal or your credit card company because I can tell you when it comes to the parts place once they sell it they are done with it. Getting them to take something back is next to impossible. Their sales manager actually cussed at me on the phone over a defective ignition switch that they swore somehow I had done something to it.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have been buying wheels from Summit. They sell Wheel Vintiques products but with free shipping. Saved me a few hundred when I bought a set if Rally 1s and Coker Redlines (they sell Cokers too).

Old 11-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Well, I hate to hear that. I'm still trying though. I'll go through PayPal, Ebay and my CC to try to get a full refund before I give up on it. I may lose some money shipping and re-stocking but I'm done with these wheels.
If you bought on Ebay then you have to file "not as described" claim/case, be prepared with a good logical reason it wasn't as described. You may still have to pay for return shipping but there won't be any restocking fess etc if you win the case.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

Take the wheels to a major tire/wheel store. Find out if it is even round, mine was not. If not have them write you a letter to help add to your case.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm patient. I'll start a claim with eBay next week. Yeah, 'Not as described' is exactly right. The description in the title of the auction contains the words 'poverty cap'. If a poverty cap won't fit, then that's what I call 'not as decribed'.
I've never had to do this before so which is best, through eBay, through PayPal or through my CC company?

Old 11-18-2016, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have disputed tons of stuff because I used to restore cars for a living. A lot of companies and people have no idea what they are talking about when they write up descriptions. Sometimes they outright lie. If you are dealing with the parts place I can tell you right now dispute it with Paypal. Ebay will drag their feet and your credit card company will too. Paypal will take your documentation, give them a certain amount of time, and then it will be a done deal. Especially if you suck it up and go ahead and send them back. If you have a tracking number that shows that they received the items then its a slam dunk with paypal. It sucks you have to eat the return shipping but they will even refund up to half of that if you go to paypal.com/refunds and enter the information after its shipped. Trust me, nobody is better at this than me. I opened a dispute on paypal this morning.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If you are dealing with the parts place I can tell you right now dispute it with Paypal.
Thank you. That's what I was wondering about. I'll keep up communications for a while with TPP and go paypal after that.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PayPal.