Old 03-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I’m still upset over this merge thing, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! I really liked being able to call for parts in the morning, and drive down and pick them up after lunch, and got to see everyone and have a laugh or two. I always felt like one of the family, PY was a big part of what my 69 bird is today, and now I have my dream TA that needs things, and honestly I never had good luck with AMEs. Now I have to deal with those other guys. Year one, Classic Industries, NPD.....nope not a happy camper where the merge is concerned.
Me too MA. I really miss being able to drive up and picking up my order the next day. Thankfully Chris waited until I was just about finished improving my car before turning over to Ames.

Dave

Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I for one am exceptionally grateful that I have a reliable and reasonably expansive source of parts for my 1965 & 1966 big cars.

No where near enough big car parts listed and the mindset seems to be concentrated largely towards GTO's and T/A's but I sure understand they have to go where the money is and if I can get benefit by some of the items being also available for big cars, that's a win/win for me.

I don't care if it is PY or Ames, both have been good to me and we should ALL be remembering that without them, we would not be enjoying our hobby as we do today.

But just one more thing...... When is the front page of the forums going to be updated, I see the "Pontiac Journal" is still sitting at the top of the list and hasn't been updated since July 2014. Time for that to go..

Ian

Old 03-13-2019, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Clicked on this just for info since i've been gone for so long. I didn't realize how old it was. Looks like we're almost 4 years now since the merger!

BTW, someone posted about body shells. AMD brought the 64-5 quarters to fruition to test the Pontiac market. So if those sell well, who knows what they might consider. So all of you guys who said you needed them, pony up and buy a set and tell all your 64-5 owner friends.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-13-2019, 09:15 PM

AMEs shipping is ridiculous! For some of the small things I need for the TA, they want more for shipping than the item.

I miss this show and event trailer too. and this business ad, that was in HPP. what an honor. I started getting parts from PY when they sold parts from Chris’s home, and onto each bigger step up to the warehouse in Hatfield. Truly missed as a parts Co. I can still drive down to visit, but the only part I was able to still get there was a new trunk lock for my 69. and see everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10E0711E-5552-4C8D-8B55-1A83993A44F6.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	507899   Click image for larger version

Name:	3E770FF5-FB9F-4954-90F1-9628469DEF67.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	507901  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
AMEs shipping is ridiculous! For some of the small things I need for the TA, they want more for shipping than the item.

I miss this show and event trailer too. and this business ad, that was in HPP. what an honor. I started getting parts from PY when they sold parts from Chris’s home, and onto each bigger step up to the warehouse in Hatfield. Truly missed as a parts Co. I can still drive down to visit, but the only part I was able to still get there was a new trunk lock for my 69. and see everyone.
Seems we've all been spoiled by 'free shipping' from Amazon and ebay. Even though the regular shipping price may seem cheaper than Ames and others, you have to remember that Amazon has a special deal with the USPS on their rates. Also the price of all the shipping vendors (USPS, Fed Ex, UPS, etc.) have gone through the roof in the past few years. But you are correct about a small order. But I'll be Ames making no money on their shipping; they'd be lucky to break even.

And we all miss the PY Trailer and seeing Chris running around!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-13-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Seems we've all been spoiled by 'free shipping' from Amazon and ebay. Even though the regular shipping price may seem cheaper than Ames and others, you have to remember that Amazon has a special deal with the USPS on their rates. Also the price of all the shipping vendors (USPS, Fed Ex, UPS, etc.) have gone through the roof in the past few years. But you are correct about a small order. But I'll be Ames making no money on their shipping; they'd be lucky to break even.

And we all miss the PY Trailer and seeing Chris running around!

That trailer now has a cold case wrap. I’ll get my parts, just not the same.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Senior Chief

Default Shipping, Shipping, Shipping....

It seems to me the biggest hurdle to the hobby, us 'Buyers' and the people at Ames and other Sellers, HAS to be Shipping Costs!....I had been a faithful fan of PY doing my 64 Lemans over 20 yrs ago...and after the merger, I became a fan and user of Ames for keeping up with my resto and getting to items missed on the original body-on resto....but I think the biggest hurdle is for Ames to be able to be competitive, not just in pricing, which has been a challenge lately, but in shipping costs to the customers....many of the parts are obviously dropped shipped from the mfrs. plant, so many of the catalogs are on equal footing....but recently, I had an order for a molded firewall pad for the 64 Lemans (don't waste your money..get flat pad at $170 vs $35) and some new SS tranny oil cooler lines and misc smalls....there was a HUGE difference from NPD to Ames in terms of shipping costs...NPD is offering no ship chrg on orders over $300, which this was...Ames did not offer same, which I think is a major business blunder. All else being equal, all Ames was on this order was an 'order-taker'...it was an in house product...yet it has not decided to compete full on with this NPD free shipping
policy...I think Ames needs to compete by matching competition....I have heard it said many times that Ames ship costs seem to be much higher than other suppliers from others in the hobby..WHY?..this should be investigated by Ames...We love the Co., We love what you do and Why you do it....but please don't give us a reason to go elsewhere because we ALL (except the rich GTO owners.. ) have limited funds and are just trying to make ends meet to keep our old cars on the road...I am sure Ames is WELL aware of this problem for the industry and itself, but I, for one, would LOVE to see a free ship over $300 to compete against others as a long term policy to show it will be here for the long term..and to do so, it must preserve Each and Every one of us customers!

Old 04-17-2019, 11:46 AM

Classic industries does the same and sometimes its has free shipping or sometimes it will havei 20% 30% discounts over $199 $299 $399 etc. I have been buy more parts from them then from Ames and they ship from CA Ames ships from NH and I'm in NY and shipping is most of the times cheaper from Classic. I will say this Classic only sells Firebird parts for some reason no GTO's.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I buy very little from classic. They do offer discounts but they always seem to me to slightly offset the shipping cost, and I think their products are higher priced to begin with. I too am on the east coast and their orders take at least a week to get to me. Year one also seems to be higher priced, they offer discounts but it seems they dont apply to the products Im looking for.
I would like to see shipping cost go down as well, but I have no idea how the mail order business works so I will let someone else figure that out. FWIW, I bought some paint, the product cost was around $45. and the shipping was $30!!!!

Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 PM

Yea and now most mail orders are starting to charge you taxes besides shipping. That was what was nice about mail order no tax but now that's gone too.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the charging of taxes is a result of new regulations. I am pretty sure that you should be liable for taxes regardless, just now they are enforcing the law. My neighboring state of DE has no sales tax, however i am supposed to keep track of what i buy there and pay 6% to my state of MD. No one does this though.