Old 10-11-2020, 12:42 PM
Senior Chief

Default Fuel filter 65 w/a/c

Could someone tell me the best procedure for removing the blue canister filter on my car. looks impossible to get to the bottom hose clamp.
Should I first take the 2 lines on the top and proceed from there??
I put it on while reassembling the motor.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:42 AM
Senior Chief

Surely one of you guys have replaced the fuel filter . How did you do it?

Old 10-12-2020, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have the vapor return you must have AC. If you have that then likely PS also. With the alt that's a lot of brackets up there. Don't be afraid to loosen or remove some. Don't know what hose clamps are on there now or how they are clocked. Last guy may have them turned to an impossible angle.

But in general your approach sounds like a way to go. And if you are replacing the filter you should replace the little short hoses so maybe cutting the lower one before you get to the lower clamp may help with access. Maybe just cut all three hoses and replace anyway.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have A/C and mine's a '64. I also haven't had to replace the filter yet.

Makes sense to remove the top 2 hoses to get them out of the way. I think the clamps require the use of hose clamp pliers, originals anyway, as opposed to the band type clamps that need a screwdriver?

The factory specified the orientation of the clamps in the Assembly Manual to keep them clear of other stuff and I'd guess to have easiest access. As pfilean mentions, maybe you have it turned at a bad angle.

Have you looked from underneath?

I'm thinking you might get to it from below. If I recall, there is a hard line from the fuel pump and then a short piece of hose between the hard line and the filter.

You might need to disconnect the hard line from the pump, assuming you can get to that fitting.

Or remove the fuel filter bracket so you can move the filter around to get access to the lower clamp.

Where there's a will, there's a way! Hopefully far short of having to pull the engine.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:48 AM
Senior Chief

thanks for the replies.
best way after some thought, I'm going to proceed from the top. Trying to find reason for slight hesitation when starting out in first gear.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not the fuel filter that's causing that hesitation. Likely, it's the accelerator pump in the center carb. Check it out by operating the throttle with the engine shut off and looking into the airhorn for the squirt from the pump as the throttle is opened.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Dick Boneske For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2020, 10:57 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks Dick. Just getting back to the post. I'll take a peek.