Old 11-09-2020, 01:41 PM

Default 1965 GTO Grille Restoration

Hi folks. I have a general question about the restoration of my 1965 GTO grilles. I recently had them re-chromed, and as the factory did the chrome shop polished only the outer lip to a reflective shine. This leaves me, of course, with painting duties in satin black and argent silver.

There is a Hot Rod magazine article online that describes the restoration of 1965 GTO grilles where they scuff up the to-be-painted areas, primer them, then topcoat.

In speaking with an experienced body shop supply store employee this morning, I described my project and mentioned that I would be primering over unpolished, "scuffed up" chrome then painting my colors. His opinion was that under no circumstances should I ever primer and paint over chrome, whether that chrome is polished, unpolished, or scuffed up.

He instead suggested that I very carefully mask the polished outer lip with heavy vinyl tape then sandblast the rest of the grille. Next, epoxy primer followed by the topcoat.

While I like his idea, I am a little afraid that I will ruin the polished chrome outer lip with sandblasting regardless of how careful I am.

Has anyone tried this and had success?

Last edited by propuckstopper; 11-09-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes I have had success with several re-chromed pieces that were painted like grills, dash bezels, valances, etc. Would recommend scuffing with 600-800 grit paper (perhaps wet), then clean, then a coat of a good Etching Primer before your top coat. Have used this on several cars out in the elements and nothing has lifted off.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
Yes I have had success with several re-chromed pieces that were painted like grills, dash bezels, valances, etc. Would recommend scuffing with 600-800 grit paper (perhaps wet), then clean, then a coat of a good Etching Primer before your top coat. Have used this on several cars out in the elements and nothing has lifted off.
That was kind of what I gathered from the Hot Rod restoration article online.

I really do like the idea of bringing the grilles down to pure bare metal then applying epoxy primer, but not at the expense of wrecking my nice new chrome.

Although the majority of us (me included) tend to over restore and make things better than the factory did, I always still think about how the factory did things way back when.

I don't think the factory would have chromed, sandblasted, epoxy primered, then painted these grilles. It wouldn't have made economic sense.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the sand blasting would ruin the grilles, after all they're only pot metal. I just finished mine a couple of months ago...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grilles.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	553488  

Old 11-09-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
That was kind of what I gathered from the Hot Rod restoration article online.

I really do like the idea of bringing the grilles down to pure bare metal then applying epoxy primer, but not at the expense of wrecking my nice new chrome lip.

Although the majority of us (me included) tend to over restore and make things better than the factory did, I always stop and think about how the factory did things way back when.

I don't think the factory would have chromed, sandblasted, epoxy primered, then painted these grilles. It wouldn't have made economic sense.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
I think the sand blasting would ruin the grilles, after all they're only pot metal. I just finished mine a couple of months ago...
Those look great! What was your final sanding grit before primer?

For the topcoat, I am going to use Eastwood Argent Silver and SEM Trim Black, I think...

Old 11-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

400 grit was the final. I used the SEM black etching primer followed by Rustoleum black body primer, and SEM Trim Black and Details argent silver for the silver which i found at Paragon Corvettes. Eastwood Argent has been unavailable since this spring. I found it easier to paint the black last, masking over the silver. Happy masking!!!

Old 11-09-2020, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Originally, the paint was applied directly over the chrome on the grille, headlight doors, and tail panel and tail light bezels. No sand blasting or etching used at all. Use SEM Trim Black and you will be fine. It'll stick and last for decades. No way would I etch or sandblast my trim parts!!! No primers needed.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^^^^^
What he said. I've done maybe a dozen 65 grills. Simply scuff, mask off and paint. I've never had a problem

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-10-2020, 10:03 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
^^^^^^^
What he said. I've done maybe a dozen 65 grills. Simply scuff, mask off and paint. I've never had a problem
Thanks fellas. The scuff and mask method is what I will follow.

I did not know that the Eastwood argent silver was unavailable. I have four cans left over from a couple of years ago, so I will rattle them up and use them on my grilles. The SEM trim black is on the shelves here, so I think I am covered.

Last edited by propuckstopper; 11-10-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Propuckstopper who chromed your grilles? What was the cost? Can you post some pics? I need to get mine done but afraid to send them out and possibly getting destroyed.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t5gto View Post
Propuckstopper who chromed your grilles? What was the cost? Can you post some pics? I need to get mine done but afraid to send them out and possibly getting destroyed.
I had them done in Canada by The Chrome Pit. But I don't think they are around anymore...

I can't remember what I paid as they were done six or seven years ago. I have a good set already in the car, so these were put on the back burner for a long time.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:06 PM

Here is a picture of the left grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93AB9B6E-AA87-4EDC-AABB-F443EDBAD59E.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	555223