Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Senior Chief

Default oil fitting

i am wanting to run my oil pressure line for my turbo from the plug that is next to the dist. what size is that plug? is any one using that port to fed the turbo? i was hoping to use it to feed the turbo and oil pressure gauge.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Yes and yes, if you get that plug out. It may require a specially fabricated hardened extension and a serious pneumatic impact wrench to remove it, though. After 30+ years in place, some of those plugs just do not want to come out.

If the engine is disassembled, and it will not come out, then you can drill it out and use a reverse twist extractor to get the remnents.

If the plug has been out before, then its removal should not be a problem. I believe that the thread size is 3/8NPT.

Once that plug is out, just go to your favorite parts store for adapters and connectors.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Boost Engineer

Sometimes you can heat the center of the plug with a cutting torch so that it is very hot and then take some candle wax (large candle) and let in seep into the threads.

Many times the plug will come right out after the plug and block cool to room temp.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Senior Chief

the block has been to the machine shop and they removed everything but i looking at an fitting and was not sure what thread size it was. would a -4 line be good for a turbo feed line? and was planing to use a -12 for a drain. but not sure where to put the drain at in the fuel pump port or in the pan somewhere? tryin to get all my fitting at one time.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:56 AM
Pontiac performance Author

AN -4 is fine for feed line. -10 SB adequate for drain. The fuel pump block off on the TC is convenient so long as your turbo is mounted above it.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Senior Chief

On my sons Laser,we changed the oil pressure feed from the factory position in the head to a port by pump directly after filter.It had too much pressure to the seals in the turbo and blew them.Found out I should have put a restrictor in line.
Something to think about.
Craig

Old 05-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blue bird, i used that port using a 45 degree -4 AN to 3/8 npt adaptor, then used -4 to the turbo inlet. I used an E-bay inlet flange already set to -4 AN and -10 drain line, you can't go too big on the drain but you can hurt things if you go too small. MArk L

Old 05-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Sometimes you can heat the center of the plug with a cutting torch so that it is very hot and then take some candle wax (large candle) and let in seep into the threads.

Many times the plug will come right out after the plug and block cool to room temp.

Tom Vaught
Or spend about a half hour with a regular propane torch!