Old 06-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Senior Chief

Default Favor Needed

Hi. I am going to be cutting a hole in my hood to allow for a 79 Trans Am shaker scoop. I was wondering if someone with a 77-79 Trans Am shaker hood could trace the shape of the hole in the hood on a piece of cardboard or something so I could use the tracing for a template. I would reimburse for postage. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:30 PM

That is quite a job considering you will have to roll the edges of the cutout. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Find a rotted out hood for a template.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs78ta View Post
That is quite a job considering you will have to roll the edges of the cutout. Good luck.
Yes I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. I have a friend who is a fabricator helping me with this... I know I could put some kind of inconspicuous moulding around the hole to dress it up but I also know that the rolled edges you mention provide rigidity to that area of the hood. We'll see.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=ta man;4950075]Find a rotted out hood for a template.[/

That would be really handy if I can find one...Around here anything before 1990 has been scrapped. If I could find a local Trans Am owner it would be great. They could possibly trace it out for me.So far I haven't. I'm thinking welding in the hole section from a junk hood might be really difficult to end up with a nice looking hood.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could buy a new hood if you cant find one..where are you located..I'm sure there is a board member close with a spare hood.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A "driver" quality 77-81 T/A hood should be had for $100,I would think....

What area are you in?

Also,what engine and carb are in your car....the hole in the hood is the EASY part....

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
You could buy a new hood if you cant find one..where are you located..I'm sure there is a board member close with a spare hood.
What I'm actually trying to do is put a shaker setup on my 79 Phoenix. So it will be a custom job to get the hole cut correctly in my hood. The other challenge will be fabricating an air cleaner that will connect to the scoop and allow it to be positioned properly. Fortunately I have a friend who is a welder and fabricator and has a lot of body work experience who will help me with this.

I have been trying to figure out how to give my Phoenix more of a muscle car appearance and less of that "elegant" look. Considered a Chevy type cowl ind. scoop but that wouldn't look right. Considered a scoop like the 67 427 Vettes had but wasn't comfortable with that. Then I thought of the shaker idea...like Trans Am and 74 GTO. I think it will work great. I just have to make sure I can do it properly before I begin. The 79 Trans Am scoop has the right Pontiac "genes" styling-wise for my Phoenix---has a slight ridge down the top of the scoop that should go well with my hood. I think it should look natural.

Engine is 350 SBC.
If there are guys pretty close to the Ephrata, PA area and I could possibly go over and trace out the hole size & shape it would be great.

Last edited by 79 Phoenix; 06-15-2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: add'l. info.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:54 PM

Default no problem

Dude, im an hour east of pittsburgh(where the steelers have summer camp). I work crazy hours but if you still want a tracing by tomorrow night 11 pm, i can trace it friday. I wont have service til i go to work at 11. Just say you stil need it. Email me at lonewolf5933@yahoo.com. names Chris. 77TA

Old 06-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When MotorTown did the 77 Can-Am conversions they just cut the hole and the under braces. Nothing like a factory 74 GTO or TA hood.

They used a special made "welting" around the perimeter of the hole to give a more finished look to it .

You could do something similar - with say some aftermarket flexible door edge guard material . Use black or paint to match . The simulated chrome/mylar type would look too ghetto blingy.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Senior Chief

I've got a hood skin I used for my pattern. I also have some good welting that I think looks pretty good.

I bought some fittings and hose for an aquarium to make the drain lines..

I can get better pictures in a day or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sccop opening 001.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	327186  

Old 06-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
When MotorTown did the 77 Can-Am conversions they just cut the hole and the under braces. Nothing like a factory 74 GTO or TA hood.

They used a special made "welting" around the perimeter of the hole to give a more finished look to it .

You could do something similar - with say some aftermarket flexible door edge guard material . Use black or paint to match . The simulated chrome/mylar type would look too ghetto blingy.
Thanks for the input! My friend who is a fabricator & I were looking it over today and it's looking like this can work well on my Phoenix. It may need to be just a little further toward the front than the 74 GTO scoop/hole. He is going to make an air cleaner and a new plate under the scoop that will line up better. We were talking about some welting that we could put around the hole. Just need to find the right stuff that would be not too noticeable. I'm thinking I would like it body color which will be red.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowapub View Post
I've got a hood skin I used for my pattern. I also have some good welting that I think looks pretty good.

I bought some fittings and hose for an aquarium to make the drain lines..

I can get better pictures in a day or so.
Looks great on your truck! If you have more pics that would also be great../especially of the welting. Did you make your own air cleaner setup? Also, where did you get the welting?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM

Mid to late 90's Chevy - fuel injected. Is it just mounted to the hood? Seems unlikely for it to be any other way.

Last edited by bs78ta; 06-22-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry for the delay. I'll get pictures tomorrow of the trim and another hood I have cut out.
The trim is from a local rubber and gasket supplier here in Eastern TN.
I have plenty of extra and can get more.
Right now the scoop is bolted to the hood.
I would like to figure out how to fab it so it is maounted to the TBI.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowapub View Post
Sorry for the delay. I'll get pictures tomorrow of the trim and another hood I have cut out.
The trim is from a local rubber and gasket supplier here in Eastern TN.
I have plenty of extra and can get more.
Right now the scoop is bolted to the hood.
I would like to figure out how to fab it so it is maounted to the TBI.
Thanks! That would be great to see what you used for the welting.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like the Baron says door edge guard would be least conspicuous. If you cut the hole correctly the first time then nothing at all would look good too. I've done this my self, and after cutting the hole correctly, touch it up using a large diameter sanding roll like inch and half or 2 inch diameter. Then you really don't need anything at all. Don't forget anything you use will be raised, a clean hole looks best.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
Like the Baron says door edge guard would be least conspicuous. If you cut the hole correctly the first time then nothing at all would look good too. I've done this my self, and after cutting the hole correctly, touch it up using a large diameter sanding roll like inch and half or 2 inch diameter. Then you really don't need anything at all. Don't forget anything you use will be raised, a clean hole looks best.
Okay thanks for the input! I'm not sure yet but may have to cut into some of the hood bracing. I'm not sure how that will leave the edge looking.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Senior Chief

I guess I don't have the skin here. I traced the pattern off a friends 78-79 Trans Am.
The gold hood is in process and still needs to have the braces cut back so the shaker sits closer to the hood. We used a cut off wheel to cut this.
I used a plasma cutter on the hood, so the cut is a little rough.
The welting works well for me.
My truck is getting some exhaust work so I'll have to get those pictures later.
I'll hit 300,000 miles by the time I get to the Dayton even!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scoop 001.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	327551   Click image for larger version

Name:	scoop 002.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	327552   Click image for larger version

Name:	scoop 003.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	327553  

Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Senior Chief

Thought I'd throw this photo out there. Older wheels and no shaker installed yet.
2 ton dump bed and air bags, electric moon roof, Breezer rear window and diesel bumper are some of the many improvments made..
The exhaust leak is the worst thing this truck has ever handed me..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	95 z71 014.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	327554   Click image for larger version

Name:	z71 Diesel bumper 021.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	327555   Click image for larger version

Name:	z71 Diesel bumper 023.jpg
Views:	56