Old 01-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can someone tell me what side of the coil the condensor is wired to? The car is a 70 GTO with a points distributor but I have converted it to a Pertronix unit. The condensor I am talking about is NOT the one underneath the cap & rotor. It is the condensor that attaches to the coil bracket.

Buy a GOAT....they eat anything!

Old 01-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can someone tell me what side of the coil the condensor is wired to? The car is a 70 GTO with a points distributor but I have converted it to a Pertronix unit. The condensor I am talking about is NOT the one underneath the cap & rotor. It is the condensor that attaches to the coil bracket.

Buy a GOAT....they eat anything!

Old 01-03-2003, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are talking about the radio suppression capacitor. I'm positive it goes on the + terminal of the coil.

Old 01-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's correct. The condenser (capacitor; modern terminology) inside the distributor connects to the (-) side of the coil. Connecting the external capacitor to the (-) side also, will cause ignition problems. As mentioned above, the external capacitor is the radio suppression capacitor.

Regards, George

p.s. somehow my post ended up ahead of Held-for-Ransom's instead of after it.