67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 PM

Default Pypes tailpipe

i have the pypes header back 2.5 dual muff. system on my 67 bird,quarter exit.i have a problem with the right tailpipe hitting the inside of the tire,especially when turning corners.i have 15x7 rally 2's with 255 60 15 tires. has anyone had this issue.Pypes said that the car is not the same on both sides as far as the area where the pipes come out.i can see that,but i'm wondering what to do here to get better clearence.thanks.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck
I did a 67 convert for someone who bought their complete system and it fit horribly.
They sent a new set of rear pipes(at an extra charge) and I still had to hack and weld pieces to get a half Ash fit.
Search the forum for the pics of problem areas I had.I believe that tires were about same size too.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 AM

I bought the dual muffler kit with the x-pipe and Violator mufflers for my 69 hardtop and I had a resto shop that specializes in NCRS corvettes put it on. They had well over a day and a half putting the kit in and getting it to fit correctly. They said the tailpipes were terrible and they had to rebend them. I ended up paying almost a day and a half labor with them messing with the kit. There was also some mis-labeling of some of the pipes. I emailed Pypes since I thought they may want to talk to the shop considering how much I spent including the entire kit and band clamps, plus all the labor but the tech guy pretty much blew me off and didn't want to hear it.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to bascom123

My magnaflow setup pretty much just bolted up on my 69 coupe. spend a bit more and its well worth it.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM

Default pype

Cammer 6,i searched all your posts,i can't find anything related to the pypes kit.anyway they have supposed to have improved the kits for the f body.the only trouble i have is with the right tailpipe.the rest of the system fit great and sounds good as well.i really like the stock style tips too.i just have to get the right side figured out.that's why i posted here in case anyone had this issue. again,if anyone has a pic or has had trouble here with the right side pipe,let me know.thanks...

Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Search again...http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ighlight=pypes
Was told that the shop that did it wasnt very professional(it was me and my shop),I see other non professionals have the same problem
"I had a resto shop that specializes in NCRS corvettes put it on. They had well over a day and a half putting the kit in and getting it to fit correctly. They said the tailpipes were terrible and they had to rebend them. I ended up paying almost a day and a half labor with them messing with the kit".

Second set of tailpipes were said to be the improved version.So much for that.