Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

not all BP fuel has ethanol. here in iowa its required to label gas with ethanol, BP stations in my town dont have the 93 option that has 10%, we have straight 87, 87 with 10% & the premium is 91 octane with no ethanol. the straight 91 runs best in my 10.72:1 e-head engine but it can run on 89 & 87 like cliff mentioned but likes the 91 better. a few stations do offer the 93 with 10% like shell & kum & go & murphys (walmart) but BP & all other stations still have the straight 91 premium.

as for octane booster, 9 out of 10 off the shelf boosters are very misleading in how much they increase octane... the bottles say something like, will raise octane 3 or 4 "points." points are not whole numbers like most people think, its 10ths of a whole number, so a bottle raises octane maybe .3 or .4, itwould take 3 bottles to gain 1 whole number. waste of money in my book if you have to add that much booster to every tank just to be able to drive the car without detonation.

& run on doesn't always mean there is detonation or a timing issue, i had some run on the hottest of days or after the gas got to be about a month old, but turned out it was carb/idle speed settings. ive had cliff do 2 carbs for me & initially just bolted them on out of the box, set idle speed & drove. they both ran great except the rare occasion of run on in the e-head motor... i eventually lowered the idle speed as much as possible then tuned the mix screws to get most of the idle speed back. idles perfect at 750 now & has zero run on or detonation with almost 11:1 & 89-91 octane & NO octane booster.