Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

not all BP fuel has ethanol. here in iowa its required to label gas with ethanol, BP stations in my town dont have the 93 option that has 10%, we have straight 87, 87 with 10% & the premium is 91 octane with no ethanol. the straight 91 runs best in my 10.72:1 e-head engine but it can run on 89 & 87 like cliff mentioned but likes the 91 better. a few stations do offer the 93 with 10% like shell & kum & go & murphys (walmart) but BP & all other stations still have the straight 91 premium.

as for octane booster, 9 out of 10 off the shelf boosters are very misleading in how much they increase octane... the bottles say something like, will raise octane 3 or 4 "points." points are not whole numbers like most people think, its 10ths of a whole number, so a bottle raises octane maybe .3 or .4, itwould take 3 bottles to gain 1 whole number. waste of money in my book if you have to add that much booster to every tank just to be able to drive the car without detonation.

& run on doesn't always mean there is detonation or a timing issue, i had some run on the hottest of days or after the gas got to be about a month old, but turned out it was carb/idle speed settings. ive had cliff do 2 carbs for me & initially just bolted them on out of the box, set idle speed & drove. they both ran great except the rare occasion of run on in the e-head motor... i eventually lowered the idle speed as much as possible then tuned the mix screws to get most of the idle speed back. idles perfect at 750 now & has zero run on or detonation with almost 11:1 & 89-91 octane & NO octane booster.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a good review of octane boosters;

https://thoroughlyreviewed.com/autom...ctane-booster/

Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Senior Chief

Something interesting happened to me this past Friday. Decided to take car out for a spin with about a quarter tank on gas left from last year. I drove about 10 miles to gas station and it ran beautiful! I put 10 gallons of Premium gas in and then drove another way home a little longer. When I got to about 300 yards from my storage place it started acting up coughing,jerking and wanting to stall! I put the car in neautral and stepped on the gas and that was enough to get me in the garage! Hasn't run right since!! ????? What happened!?

Old 06-04-2019, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
Something interesting happened to me this past Friday. Decided to take car out for a spin with about a quarter tank on gas left from last year. I drove about 10 miles to gas station and it ran beautiful! I put 10 gallons of Premium gas in and then drove another way home a little longer. When I got to about 300 yards from my storage place it started acting up coughing,jerking and wanting to stall! I put the car in neautral and stepped on the gas and that was enough to get me in the garage! Hasn't run right since!! ????? What happened!?
In my opinion, it could be either a plugged fuel filter or a bad fuel pump. The new fuel may have eaten your pump diaphragm. You need to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if it's that.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
Right there is your problem. I am sure that if you take the top of the carb off you will see what looks to be Tapioca beads in the bowl. If you have those, its time for a rebuild and a complete fuel system flush.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Right there is your problem. I am sure that if you take the top of the carb off you will see what looks to be Tapioca beads in the bowl. If you have those, its time for a rebuild and a complete fuel system flush.
IMO, not if it ran so great for over 20 miles first. Sounds more like fuel interaction with the pump diaphragm. A proper fuel filter would have kept it out of the carb. The filter would be plugged and that was what I suspected.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Senior Chief

I did replace in line filter! Also took car out for new tires a week before I put gas in and no problems! I put a couple of bottles of heat in and we will see! I am in NJ for a week and when I come back I will try again! Any thoughts on a few gallona of cam 2 ? right now car has almost 3 quarters of gas would carb cleaner help?

Old 06-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Boost Engineer

The only issue I ever had with the 10% ethanol fuel was that: Even "later model" (early 2000 MY vehicles with EFI) fuel pumps were not designed to run with the 10% Ethanol fuel for any period of time.

So many of the EFI fuel pumps you see on EBAY (that would fit into the Tanks,inc tanks) are not 10% ethanol compatible.

If you are doing a conversion to the Tanks,inc fuel tank on your GTO or Firebird, (street driver with a carb) get the proper EFI fuel pumps that are Ethanol capable. Even if they are the higher flowing Liter/hr fuel pumps. Been there found that out the hard way. $$$

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ladies and gents have no fear
TA the master tuner is here

He is smarter than everyone here combined
There is no noise or tick he can't find

So if your car is running bad, have no fear
He can time your engine by ear

No fancy tools or equipment needed
His skill and knowledge can't be exceeded

Old 06-04-2019, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can tell you also on my 78 TA the SS braided fuel line was fine for 8 years on race gas, 6 months after the new pump gas motor and pump gas started leaking like a sieve!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=fred jernejec;6029209Decided to take car out for a spin with about a quarter tank on gas left from last year. [/QUOTE]

I rarely agree with Chief on anything (and I don't totally agree with his response), but I do agree that storing a vehicle without filling the tank beforehand can lead to unnecessary problems.

A full tank greatly reduces the amount of possible condensation over the storage period.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I decided to roll with the times and change my fuel system over to be totally E85 compatible and set my car up with a flex sensor because it's EFI. I should have converted the car a LONG time ago to run E85! It is such a good fuel and being flex I can cruise around on pump gas but when I want to go play, I can let the tank run low then fill it up with E85, or drain the pump gas out and put in a fresh batch if I want to make sure my ethanol content is as high as it can be. Consumption wise, I think i'm seeing about 20% more than pump gas but the fuel cost itself here is around 25-30c/L cheaper than high octane pump gas ($1.30/L compared to $1.60/L), the car doesn't stink at all anymore, runs cooler and way more throttle response.

Ethanol is only evil if you refuse to play by its rules.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Ladies and gents have no fear
TA the master tuner is here

He is smarter than everyone here combined
There is no noise or tick he can't find

So if your car is running bad, have no fear
He can time your engine by ear

No fancy tools or equipment needed
His skill and knowledge can't be exceeded

Rapper FJ

Old 06-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisr View Post
I decided to roll with the times and change my fuel system over to be totally E85 compatible and set my car up with a flex sensor because it's EFI. I should have converted the car a LONG time ago to run E85! It is such a good fuel and being flex I can cruise around on pump gas but when I want to go play, I can let the tank run low then fill it up with E85, or drain the pump gas out and put in a fresh batch if I want to make sure my ethanol content is as high as it can be. Consumption wise, I think i'm seeing about 20% more than pump gas but the fuel cost itself here is around 25-30c/L cheaper than high octane pump gas ($1.30/L compared to $1.60/L), the car doesn't stink at all anymore, runs cooler and way more throttle response.

Ethanol is only evil if you refuse to play by its rules.
Does the flex fuel sensor need any time to adjust or is it instantaneous? I’m right in the middle of going efi with this same GM sensor

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 06-05-2019, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Ethanol is only evil if you refuse to play by its rules."

Well said. In this hobby, we tend to try breaking those rules to see what happens

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 06-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 2011 GMC has a flex fuel 5.3 .. I've never put in any E85 so can't comment on that, in fact I run ethanol free about half the time. I can hook up my scanner and it gives the percentage of ethanol of the fuel in the tank .... so yes it evidently adjusts very quickly.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got 90 octane ethanol free at Buc-ee's in Bastrop Texas just 2 days ago for $2.54/gallon. I'm going to blend that with 100LL to get my octane right, and keep the ethanol out of the tank.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Does the flex fuel sensor need any time to adjust or is it instantaneous? I’m right in the middle of going efi with this same GM sensor
With my Megasquirt system, it's instant. I plumbed my ethanol sensor in the pressure side because my system is basically the same as a G8 or ZL camaro. When you enable flex/dual fuel in Megasquirt you will get extra tables to populate purely for E85 (or whatever ethanol content you want) and you then have a "Flex Blend" table so you can adjust the scale between the alcohol tables and the gasoline tables. I've just found that my fuel delivery volume wasn't quite enough so I'm looking at going back to a trunk mounted fuel cell to fix that problem once and for all!

But all in all, I have absolutely NO regrets going to a flex corn arrangement. The other benefit is the wife doesn't complain about the smell anymore. Gasoline stinks comparatively!