Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Old 03-01-2021, 09:16 PM

Default SOS (Save Our Strip) Atco Raceway

I started this SOS Post in Race Section and copied this here to get the widest dissemination possible:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=847705

If you'd rather have Atco Raceway instead of an insurance auto yard (not a pick your part type salvage but a collection of insurance totaled wrecks) please call in per the details below:

Monday 15 March, 2021 at 7:00 PM, the public can access and participate in the meeting by
visiting the following link:
https://zoom.us/j/8021658857?pwd=a29...9NeXpYdm1FZz09
Meeting ID: [ 802 165 8857 ]
Password: [ 474199 ]

Thank you!
Chris

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont want to sound too negative but if this is a hearing for zoning I think you are a day late to the races. This is a formality, like most there is probably enough politics and money in place already that its most likely a done deal. Even if the copart thing doesnt go through it will become an industrial site with an amazon warehouse, or a housing development. I doubt the track will be brought back. The only way to do that at this point would be to make an offer which is higher than the one on the books and build it yourself. Good luck, you may need it.
A bit of a travel but you can still go to Cecil (no affiliation, just a good ol' fashioned drag strip).

Old 03-02-2021, 04:35 PM

So far it’s not a done deal. Planning board at this point. Honestly I think the town would like to not have any interested parties that support Atco Raceway on the zoom mtg. After township, it still needs to go through Pinelands Commission. It would be easier to slide this insurance wreck storage yard in and button it up. It is still a track now. Pretty sure it’ll never be a housing development with the Pinelands and power lines there. I’m not opposed to Cecil but it’s another couple hours one way. Want to do anything possible even if that’s tying up the proceedings long enough for proposer to ditch this for another, less contested piece of land.

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 03-02-2021, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if the owner doesn't want the track what everyone else wants is moot. he doesn't care about the racers or he would have sold it to a racer. he wants money. i heard secondhand that he said if he got offered the deal etown got he's selling.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:25 PM

Default 🔰 If I had...

If I had the financial wherewithal, I’d buy and maintain the track; Not only for posterity, but for future generations 👍

389 .030 400ci Tri Power, .068 cam, HO manifolds, M-20 4 SPD, '70 12 Bolt 3:36 Chevrolet posi-traction, Montero Red, Parchment gut, VINTAGE AIR, PFDB, Bilsteins, F&R HD Sways, Hotchkis rear bags, Firestone Indy 500 shoes
What's the point of owning a muscle car if you can't scare yourself stupid from time to time
Old 03-03-2021, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Zeek View Post
if the owner doesn't want the track what everyone else wants is moot. he doesn't care about the racers or he would have sold it to a racer. he wants money. i heard secondhand that he said if he got offered the deal etown got he's selling.
Bingo.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad thing is most of these projects never pan out. Tracks and airports get closed and the property ends up in court for approval process or just doesn’t get used for one reason or another for decades.

But once it’s closed they don’t really ever come back .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-05-2021, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any update on Atco? I know Island Dragway seems to be up and running again. Interesting that in NJ they close Atco(?) and Englishtown, but open up the NJMP road course racing park a few years back. I love 'em both (drag racing and road racing).