Old 07-27-2000, 05:42 PM

why is it when i changed my rocker arms from stock to a comp cam roller tipped rocker in my 78 400 that i lose rpm i used to shift at 6300 now it is 6000????my cam is rated to 5800 and intake 5500???? the only thing that has changed is the rocker ratio now it is 1.63.

Old 07-27-2000, 05:42 PM

why is it when i changed my rocker arms from stock to a comp cam roller tipped rocker in my 78 400 that i lose rpm i used to shift at 6300 now it is 6000????my cam is rated to 5800 and intake 5500???? the only thing that has changed is the rocker ratio now it is 1.63.

Old 07-27-2000, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are the springs up to snuff? It is possible that they are causing valve float, now that the new rocker arms are opening the valve farther. With the valve now opening farther (and staying open longer) due to the increased rocker ratio, the springs may not have enough pressure to get the valve closed fully.

How about adjustment? Are they properly adjusted to zero lash? You may also be experiencing lifter "pump up". Double check your adjustment, as this is more likely the cause.