Old 07-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default How hard is it to install a new headliner?

Hello,

Unfortunately for me during the last 4 years I have had my '74 Trans Am in storage the origional headliner gave up the ghost. I have been looking at the replacement headliner from classic industries. Do any of you have any experience with installing one of these?

How hard is it to do it correctly so it doesn't look like I did it? Basically I would like to hear any information or a recounting of your experiences so I could avoid the pitfalls. I tried a search for headliner installation and it didn't offer much information.

Your help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Old 07-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've installed a (foam backed) perforated vinyl OEM style repro headliner on a 77-81 style (cardboard hardtop) & it was a pretty simple deal.

The mid-year 73-76 composite/molded headliner board will definately be more of a challenge,especially in the back corner curves.

Pick a warm/hot day & leave the new vinyl out in the sun to get soft & stretchy.

Wirebrush your original board (after you remove it) to get rid of the old foam traces.

TWO extra sets of hands will be helpful & make sure you use a water based adhesive.
(one that will NOT attack the foam)

Hopefully,your original board is NOT too warped.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Senior Chief

Hello 2ManyT/A'S,

Thanks for the reply. My moulded insert looks to be in pretty good shape. What happened appears to be that the foam between the vinyl and the board has simply disintigrated. When you did yours, did you have a hard time keeping the vinyl material from wrinkling when you glued it to the foam? It seems to me that that would be the hard part.

Also, last night after I started my thread I again searched the Net and something new came up, at least for me it was new. Check out this link. Has anybody used this product before?

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/a...c_firebird.htm

They advertise vacuum formed abs headliner boards already covered with foam and origional material.

Thanks,

James

Old 07-15-2007, 02:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine was pretty easy,but the 73-76 board has a more difficult shape & wrinkling WILL be an issue in those years.

I haven't dealt with that headliner co.,but it sounds like a good alternative if you don't mind spending the $$$.