Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 10-08-2001, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I kinda doudt I'll actually ever have the cash to do any of this but just for educational purposes. I have been investigating building my current engine to run 11's in street trim with out giving up decent manners and stuff like AC and power steering/brakes. I have talked to a few about putting e-heads and stuff on my current engine and the cost runs about 3500 for heads,headers,roller cam. I would probably end up over 4000 with a freshening up of the bottom end. I can buy a new GM 502 BBC that with a cam change made 650 hp about 100 more than Id make with the pontiac for about 5700.00 complete intake to oil pan.
If I could get it in the car for 7000.00 I really gotta consider it. Forged 4 bolt bottom end can go to 540 cid aftermarket parts in every flavor and plenty of local friends that know how to help me when I need tuning help. I am starting to think I've been a loner to long, and with the problems Ive had getting the current motor to run 12's. I have doudts about 11's even after the e-heads and stuff. I will probably give up on the idea because of job problems and just keep the car as is and cruise it around and pick on 4 cylinder Ricer mobiles at red lights until they too advance to where I can't beat them either.

Old 10-08-2001, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I kinda doudt I'll actually ever have the cash to do any of this but just for educational purposes. I have been investigating building my current engine to run 11's in street trim with out giving up decent manners and stuff like AC and power steering/brakes. I have talked to a few about putting e-heads and stuff on my current engine and the cost runs about 3500 for heads,headers,roller cam. I would probably end up over 4000 with a freshening up of the bottom end. I can buy a new GM 502 BBC that with a cam change made 650 hp about 100 more than Id make with the pontiac for about 5700.00 complete intake to oil pan.
If I could get it in the car for 7000.00 I really gotta consider it. Forged 4 bolt bottom end can go to 540 cid aftermarket parts in every flavor and plenty of local friends that know how to help me when I need tuning help. I am starting to think I've been a loner to long, and with the problems Ive had getting the current motor to run 12's. I have doudts about 11's even after the e-heads and stuff. I will probably give up on the idea because of job problems and just keep the car as is and cruise it around and pick on 4 cylinder Ricer mobiles at red lights until they too advance to where I can't beat them either.

Old 10-08-2001, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Should be a piece of cake. Transmission swap and a set of motor mounts. I am shure they already make headers for a Camaro, they should work in a T/A. Your cooling system should already be up to snuff. Makes a lot more sense than dumping money into an out dated engine with a very limited parts supply.

Old 10-08-2001, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

F.U. KEN K! I don't agree. There is some gratification in being different.
It may take a little ingenuity but a traditional Pontiac of equal size, comparably equipped, can whip a corporate block. Might cost a little more, but there is so much satisfaction!

------------------

Bill

P.S. Ken K, now we know why you're giving away all of your Pontiac stuff.

[This message has been edited by WDCreech (edited 10-09-2001).]

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 10-09-2001, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have enough Pontiac junk to last me 2 lifetimes. Other than restoration purposes it does not make any sense to me to dump money in an outdated engine. If someone thinks it great to dump money into a Pontiac engine to be different thats OK with me, it's your money.

Old 10-09-2001, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess it's "what ever trips your trigger."

------------------

Bill

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 10-18-2001, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Id hate to make the swap but dang the Chevy seems to make power without all the smoke and mirrors around POntiacs. It seems no two agree on anything cams, intakes,pistons, cranks, HEADs o man the things Ive read concerning Heads !!!
I don't have lots of money to toss into this thing and I want the performance to be
impressive. Id love to do it with a pontiac but dang Id hate to spend a ton on it and still get out run by 350's ! Ive been trying to get ideas on how to build my pontiac to this level but Ive not have much success. Kauffman's said 550 on pump gas was no problem but I wonder why more are not doing it. The recent Car Craft Big block shoot out was a good example the pontiac was a good 40 hp behind the Chevy 454 or Buick and The BBC could have easily supported 600 hp with a bigger cam. I will fight the urge to convert to the bitter end and probably sink more money in this thing, I just hope I'm surprised by it. Id really hate to listen to all the I told you so's Id get here that told me to put a chevy in it from the start.