Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 05-07-2001, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey all,
I just picked up a 77 Datsun P/U with a Buick 231 V6 and a TH350- non-Pontiac, but I needed something to haul my crap in.
Anyways, the tranny shifts WAY too early- anybody got any ideas (governor, modulator,??) on what it might be or how to correct it?
The V6 seems to leak quite a bit of oil- just not sure where it's from. The thing has a Kenne Bell intake, die cast valve covers, cam, roller rockers and some other stuff on the bottom end, so I know it was originally intended to haul something [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] . I can't tell if the leak's at the rear main or not, I wiped everything off, and let it set for 1/2 and hour. I found oil leaking down the tranny insp. cover, so I removed it- only a little bit of oil inside, and the back of the block didn't look too bad. Do these things have rear main issues like Pontiacs?
I think I'll change the valve cover gaskets and see if this might help.
Thanks for any and all help,

------------------
John

Old 05-07-2001, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey all,
I just picked up a 77 Datsun P/U with a Buick 231 V6 and a TH350- non-Pontiac, but I needed something to haul my crap in.
Anyways, the tranny shifts WAY too early- anybody got any ideas (governor, modulator,??) on what it might be or how to correct it?
The V6 seems to leak quite a bit of oil- just not sure where it's from. The thing has a Kenne Bell intake, die cast valve covers, cam, roller rockers and some other stuff on the bottom end, so I know it was originally intended to haul something [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] . I can't tell if the leak's at the rear main or not, I wiped everything off, and let it set for 1/2 and hour. I found oil leaking down the tranny insp. cover, so I removed it- only a little bit of oil inside, and the back of the block didn't look too bad. Do these things have rear main issues like Pontiacs?
I think I'll change the valve cover gaskets and see if this might help.
Thanks for any and all help,

------------------
John

Old 05-12-2001, 10:19 AM

your oil leak is probably the rear main, it's a rope seal like the pontiac.
look at the detent [kickdown] cable and see if it's hooked up to the carb, if it is it needs adjusted. there is a button or a clamp that will need to be pulled up to do this . most buicks had a button that was metal. to adjust you push it down with a screwdriver and the cable should retract back against the part that fastens into the bracket. the open the throttle all the way and the cable housing should pull out and stay in this position. drive the truck and see how it shifts. it should shift at 12mph 1-2 and 24 mph 2-3 under light acceleration. hope this helps, mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-14-2001, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I will try the cable- it has been converted to a Lokar setup- I didn't think about that.

------------------
John